Won't boost past 7 after maft

Hey guys I have a problem I have a 87 with a 88 ecu that would boost perfectly to around 8.5 but u just installed my MAF translator connected everything and it fired right up no problem so I been tunning it to run right base, idle so on when when tunning for WOT I noticed that it would not boost pass 7 I have taken it all the way up past 4k and nothing. Has anyone encounter this or can help me thanks

Yeah I have a aem wideband and I have it running between mid 13's to mid 14's on idle

11-12 on mid throttle and in full boost it's low 11 am I missing something

Edited by Turbospecv

Well I have no boost controller I wanted to keep it on stock boost . And I'm using the stock boost gauge. It does not sputter or anything like that it just picks up boost until 7 lb's and feels like it's got good power and then I feel like the car just plateaues and power stops. Before the stock gauge would ready way past 7lb like now it bearly hits 7

The stock gauge is effected by the maft settings. If you have leaned the car out from it's untuned afr, than the stock gauge will read less then it did with out the maft. If it is richer, then stock the gauge would read higher, but richer can lead to ignition problem which can often start as a hesitation or failure to rev up with out the tell tale stutter of a more sever missfire. Your afr's should be with in the stock ignitions capability at that boost level.

But that said it would not be the first car that was fixed with a cap, rotor and plug change. Cogged cats or plugged exhaust, turbo problems and even weak valve spring can limit boost or make the car hit a platue.

Edited by StarquestRescue

• 3 weeks later...
Did you open the 88 ecu to see if it was the 2 tier type mother board. I bought a 88 first and was screwed it ended up being a 1987 ecu with a 88 case. I bought a 1989 from someone off here and it was two tiered and obviously different on the inside. Just figured Id chime in since I had the same problem. Good luck