doing homework for rust behind dash on 87 starquest

87starionkid

While I was cleaning my interior on my 87 starion, it looks like I may have some rust behind the dashboard due to a leaky front windsheild. I want to restore this part in the veh but before is take the dash out for the first time since it was installed in 1987, im trying to find out what could rust back there. Im looking for maybe advise and pics would be even better. I looked at Kev's post in the heat and ac section and it helped, but this would be my first big project and could use the extra help. If anyone has any pics of whats behind the dash it would help me a great deal.

I was going to spell it out, but it would be quicker and easier for both of us if you check out this link...

http://www.starquestgarage.com/manuals/service/conquest/1988/88_conquest_service_manual_-_group_23_-_body.pdf

It starts on page 23-87.

If you have any questions, let me know.

-Dan

Hi Dan, instrument panel removal page 87, good breakdown. How long roughly did it take you to take it out and are there many multi connectors that you have to unplug. I really don't want the hassle of taking it out but if I want to restore her correctly then I feel it has to be done, like you said, when you have water coming in, behind the dash can be part of the problem.

Cheers

Al

The cowl will break (most likely) when you try to remove her. If you remove the cowl it'll let u check for leaks around the glass and if you remove the fender it'll let you u check for leaks at body seams. with the cowl removed you can see the water channels where it is supposed to drain. A few leaves in there and its a pond for days.

And when I say "leaks" I mean patches of rust that are now holes allowing water into the passenger compartment.

Edited by Xtclink

Hi Dan, instrument panel removal page 87, good breakdown. How long roughly did it take you to take it out and are there many multi connectors that you have to unplug. I really don't want the hassle of taking it out but if I want to restore her correctly then I feel it has to be done, like you said, when you have water coming in, behind the dash can be part of the problem.

Cheers

Al

Al, It took a couple of hours to remove the console and dash. Another hour or so for the Heat/AC system. There are quite a number of connectors; if I had to guess, I'd say 20+.