Deciding on getting a Starion

redbud23

I am a SSG in the U.S. Army looking to retire next year with 23 years of active duty service, 7 deployments to IRAQ and AFGHANISTAN AND multiple other missions. I am a Armament repairer, which means i work on everything that goes boom from big to small. I am a former Marine and i was in the corps for 6 years and loved every minute of it.

I am currently looking at picking up a friends starion. I registered for this website to get some information before the purchase. I would be doing a 4g63 swap and a few other restoration projects for the car. This car would be for my son who is going to help with the project. I am a firm believer that half of the problems we have with our children in America is we give to much and make them earn nothing. So if anyone has swap parts ideas let me know i will be looking eventually. Thanks

Edited by redbud23

Thank you very much for your service! It is appreciated! I have to agree with you on the children part I see it a lot with the younger generation in the automotive industry. Every kid that comes in wants to make 6 figures and not work at all! Good luck with the project!

former Marine BS. You are always a Marine, best square that attitude away.

Maj Glen Hinckley USMC Retired

but about kids today 100% agree they earn nothing and respect nothing.

The G54 with a few mods makes more than enough power for a kid, stick with it. Get the car right first, most of the cars left have been shown little love.

Oh and our electrical systems were made by smurfs on crack with butter knives.

Oorah

Edited by ghinckley68

I had to stop by and say welcome. I'm former Air Defense Artillery and I picked up a Starion for a project myself so new new to StarQuests as well. I have 4G63, Ford 2.3T, and 2JZ experience so for this project, I'm going 2JZ. I'd give 1JZ or 2JZ some thought for the project. Edited by DSM ATC

former Marine BS. You are always a Marine, best square that attitude away.

Maj Glen Hinckley USMC Retired

but about kids today 100% agree they earn nothing and respect nothing.

The G54 with a few mods makes more than enough power for a kid, stick with it. Get the car right first, most of the cars left have been shown little love.

Oh and our electrical systems were made by smurfs on crack with butter knives.

Oorah

SIR YES SIR

I will resolve that issue right away

Oh and about the electrical that is the part I worry about digging into the most.

I had to stop by and say welcome. I'm former Air Defense Artillery and I picked up a Starion for a project myself so new new to StarQuests as well. I have 4G63, Ford 2.3T, and 2JZ experience so for this project, I'm going 2JZ. I'd give 1JZ or 2JZ some thought for the project.

I thought about it, but the guy i am buying the from is selling it with a 4G63 already. It's not in it but it is going to come with the car.

SIR YES SIR

I will resolve that issue right away

Oh and about the electrical that is the part I worry about digging into the most.

mostally the fusesable links and grounds.

that fusible link block by the bat cut that danm thing out past the connecters and put in a fuse block

If you cant find the all the service manuals I have them and can post them. also all the electrical schematics.

Edited by ghinckley68

mostally the fusesable links and grounds.

that fusible link block by the bat cut that danm thing out past the connecters and put in a fuse block

If you cant find the all the service manuals I have them and can post them. also all the electrical schematics.

Thanks That would help out a lot. Do you have a picture of exactly where the fusible link is? Thanks again

Welcome aboard. I think it's great you're going to work on this with you're son. I'm doing the same with mine.

Congrats on your upcoming discharge, and thanks for your service.

Rangers Lead The Way!

Cheers,

Nick

US Army Cpt., Ret.

Edited by NikoFab