Resurfacing Flywheel? Clutch Adjustment? Rear Main Seal?

polarisman14

Are you and Shelby talking about the same thing, then? The input shaft on the trans has the release bearing on it, that is the one that is held in place on the input shaft by the C-shaped clips that pin the bearing to the clutch release fork. The end of the input shaft is rounded, and I assume it is what goes into this "spigot" bearing you refer to, Aussie. But I think Shelby is speaking of the same thing. I guess I'll find out what bearing the "pilot" bearing is when it comes in the mail!

EDIT: Never mind, now I know the pilot bearing goes in the end of the crankshaft. I need to see if I have a bearing puller at the shop, if not then it looks like on youtube there's a fair amount of people using pieces of bread and a tight fitting bolt or socket to force the bearing out from behind. Sounds like a stupid idea but it really works.

Edited by polarisman14

OK, got the clutch in the mail:

http://i512.photobucket.com/albums/t324/polarisman14/StarQuest/0509131655.jpg

Everything looks to be of good quality and I'm really looking forward to putting it in. I bought the trans fluid, motor oil, filter, brake fluid, and brake cleaner so I should have everything I need to complete the install now. I'm starting in on it tomorrow after work and completing it early Saturday if possible.

It does look like the bearing that Aussie identified as the Spigot bearing is what ACT refers to as the Pilot bearing. I'll know for sure tomorrow when I get to the shop but it looks to be the same diameter as the one pressed into the flywheel. If so that'll make my life a whole lot easier as I can just pop the flywheel back off and press the new bearing in.

^^That's what I ended up doing. The ACT supplied bearing goes right in the flywheel itself. The car is now running and driving under its own power, clutch is installed etc etc. I'm really happy with the clutch, it grabs hard but doesn't chatter much at all. I need to do a little more fine tuning with the clevis pin because the engagement point is right on the floor right now--it does fully disengage but it's a pretty heavy pedal to have to push all the way in like that all the time. I may have to do something like what Technology suggested on his clutch thread, welding a nut on to the top of the "bell" to give some more threads for adjustment.

Clutch is now properly adjusted as well, life is good. Thanks for all your help and advice guys.