looking at a 1987 tsi over the weekend, what do i need to look for

3sdsmer

the car has been setting old side for 5+ years, where are the spots were they like to rust? and what else should i look for, he told me he thinks it dropped a valve hens why its been parked for so long, i have a 4g63 7bolt im planing to put in if i get the right deal. thanks for all yur time and info

jerrid

A 7Bolt aint worth crap in a StarQuest. Hell, it aint worth crap in a DSM!

You're looking at buying a car that has sat for 5+ years with a bad engine and you're looking to get a deal? Even if it was FREE it's gonna cost you $$$$ to get that car going again. Complete engine rebuild. Fuel system flush/ service: fuel filters, flush tank, replace old crusted fuel lines, fuel pump. Struts are gonna be toast. Apart from that rust? If you're in a rust state, (I'm using mobile version and can't see locations) and the car has sat outside all this time in the climate changes, it's gonna be rough.

I'm not trying to discourage you, just keeping it real. "Deal" and "starquest that has sat for 5 years with bad engine," don't go together.

man im being killed, trust me i know what i could be getting into, i like to save cars. i did the same with my 92gsx payed 500 put 5000 into it and its a great winter car that runs low 12s. and you can make 7 bolts fast and reliable the stock block record is 10.2. ive also built a few 3000gt vr4 with as much as 700awhp @28psi, so please what should i look for if the is better then expected ? thanks for your time and info

Best way is to Jack it up. Look just inside of the seem under the rockers. Rust in that area is common an a difficult fix as several different pieces come together to make the rockers. The frame rails besides the tunnel go, but that a much easier fix. If the frame rail are rough the rockers are often not far behind. If there is rust in the flair in front of the rear wheel it is a sign its worse underneath. Also look in the cowl area under the windshield and around the rear side of the front shock towers.

This car did not look that bad at a glance. One owner garage keep. :D The garage was in heavy shade and unheated.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff45/StarquestRescue/Cars%20for%20sale/DSC02486.jpg

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff45/StarquestRescue/Cars%20for%20sale/DSC02484.jpg

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff45/StarquestRescue/Cars%20for%20sale/DSC02487.jpg