Fixing a wiring hack-job

badazzquest

I removed my radio and I am currently mounting gauges and will be replacing the radio once I figure out how to make a custom bezel. I found some wires taped to the radio harness. I peeled it open and found that someone had peeled open the insulation and wrapped wire around the bare spot and taped it back up. I traced the wires to under the LH side of the dash.

I found a rats nest of someones wiring. I saw some 12ga wires running under the steering column that were clipped and tucked back up in the dash. I removed the cover and found Scotch Locks on 4 of the Ign Switch wires just below the tumbler.

I found a aftermarket relay in the dash also with some wires clipped. Those wires run into the doors and more Scotch Locks on the door latch switch wires.

Time to remove it all. Solder and heat shrink all the Boo-Boo wiring.

I think I will just replace the Ign Switch. I see Rockauto has some. Any feed back and those after market switches or should I find a OEM one new online. There is no Mitsh. dealer in the area. Or would the Dodge dealer be able to get one.

Thanks

sounds like it used to have an alarm that was removed, well, mostly removed LOL. If all your electronics woirk OK, I would just cut out the wires you don't need anymore, and make sure to tidy the OEM wiring, by covering any aftermarket connections and soldering up and cut OEM wiring.

If you go in there and start replacing ignition switches, wiring and harnesses, you may end up opening up a much worse electrical nightmare.

A Dodge dealer might be able to find the parts you need, but it would require them to look at their microfiche, and many places would rather just tell you they can't get it and to go to Mitsubishi. Get the part number for what you need and give that to the dodge dealer, so he can look up the PN directly on his computer. If they still try and push you off to Mitsu., there are Mitsu. dealerships online that sell parts online- usually for cheaper than most dealers will sell them.

Edited by Burton