Failing Emissions, any tips?

Hey guys, my 88 starion has failed emissions twice now here in denver. I'm only failing in HC (hydro carbons) and by only half a point. everything else is falling in range with ease. any ideas on how to get the HC down? in the past i have disconnected the waste gate on my DSM so that it wouldn't boost and that seemed to work, but I'm not sure how the starion would react to that. and on another note my car runs great and stays cool when driving around town even on hot days but when i take it to emissions in the morning when the temp is only 55 the car gets hot.. think its just lack of airflow since they only use a fan to "simulate" driving.

FYI- im not really modded, i put the stock IC pipe on for testing so i wouldn't vent the BOV i had on and I'm running a turbo back system with a single cat, i do not have the factory pre cat and running stock boost

My car passes emissions every year with a single cat and no precat.

Your bov and boost shouldn't be an issue. Your bov shouldn't open at all under test situations.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_lower_the_hydrocarbon_levels_for_emission_testing_on_an_older_vehicle

is your timing set correctly?

are your spark plugs good? Not fouled?

I dont have an EGR, i dont have a secondary air system. I dont have anything emissions related at all really when i take the test other than the one single converter that i bolt on every year to take the test and i always pass.

Best of luck to you

Just did plugs and wires on the car, haven't checked timing. I don't have EGR either and the NoX passes with flying colors.. I'll check timing. What's it supposed to be at? And do I need to ground out a connector or anything like on the DSM?

There's an additive you can purchase @ most parts stores, it states a money back offer of success. Never used it myself, not needed here after 20 year old vehicle. I do know of some who have used it, some time ago, & it worked. Wish I could think of the name, just go to the local parts store they should know? GL

Air filter is good, I do believe the injectors are good, timing is getting checked tomorrow. We used to do no emissions for vehicles older than 25 years but then they changed it to must be a 1975 or older so just missed that law change. God I hate emissions, doesn't help my shop doesn't have a 5 gas.. can't wait for my 4g64 swap so I can go crazy with the tuning

Checked my ignition timing and it was 15deg ATDC... According to the manual since I'm high altitude I ground the connector and set to 15deg BTDC.. The most adjustment I can get is to 8deg ATDC. Is my distributor in wrong or what? Please hello, last I felt with distributors was 10years ago in school

Just an update.. It finally passed after I fixed the timing. And my overheating issue was do to my condenser. Previous owner painted the car and condenser lol... No air flow and a bad fan ground.. But thanks everyone for your help. Next step is 4g64 swap next summer :-)

Next step is 4g64 swap next summer :-)

You gonna keep it SOHC or swap a 4G63 head and get a stroked DOHC? With the 63 head and 64 block that is a recipe for lots of TQ and fun. What are you going to tune with? Im almost wondering if DSMLink V3 would work with some custom wiring. I would recommend converting it to Speed Density and running a MAP sensor it will be easier to tune. Good luck!

Also if your looking at building a 4g63 there's a book called "How to build max performance mitsubishi 4G63T engines" I used it when I built my 6 bolt talon motor. It's very very informative and you can get it for like $10 at Barnes and nobles. Also idk how much you know about these motors but if you can try to get a 6 bolt motor as 7 bolt motors tend to "crank walk" Good Luck!!!