Quicker spooling turbo

nono281

An S16g will give you more power, that is what I run, but it won't spool any faster than a 14g. If your 14g spools slow there might be something else wrong. My S16g spools darn near as quick as my old 12a. It's a pretty quick spool.

yeah, that or a poor stock gauge. You think your spoolin 7 psi and you might be spoolin 2, lol. No joke, if you have a stock boost gauge, do yourself a favor and get a decent aftermarket one that has a mechanical line feed. You will get real boost numbers and know what's up. And yes, yes, yes to a wideband and a fuel pressure gauge. If your fuel pump is dieing or the filters are clogged, your car won't pull worth a darn, even with boost.

Actually it runs great. Boost is kicking in at 2500 rpms 12 lbs. I'm currently running a 3' exhaust with a cat, fordged JE's, bse, balanced internals, lsp dry intake and 52mm tb, m6 head ported and polished 1mm over ss valves 284 schnieder hydro cam with mechanical lifters, stock injectors (89), stock maf. I tried running the maft and it was working great til the weather in Houston got colder and some how started hitting fuel cut at 13 lbs. Used to run up to 19 lbs no problem. Good afr's. Now does it with stock maf sometimes. It isn't the vac adv. I'm going to try a 1g turbo maf. I'm also about to install my 2 1/4" pipes and enlarged ends on the stock intercooler. Also going to switch out the cat for a high flow cat. But still looking for quicker spool and more power. :) Definitely going to get a fuel pressure guage. Thnx

also rebuild your distributor. If there is caked grease in there and the weights are rusted your timing may be off under boost and off boost for that matter. If you haven't rebuilt it, there is a tutorial on starquest.ix.net that will walk you through it. Very basic, pull it apart one piece at a time, don't hurt the springs, label everything as it comes apart, take pics, pull it down to the main shaft, clean it, regrease it and put it all back together, your car will thank you.

Already done that. :D I ported and polished the intake ports to match the head. Also did that on th exhaust ports. Then I took out the steps and then some. I think the 2 1/4 hardpipes are going to help all around. Also the higher flowing cat. Hadn't gotten around to rebuilding the dizzy but I do have a spare that was working fine. I'll know for sure if that's my hick'up. Thank you though.

Yeah, rebuild the dizzy just to make sure, not a big deal and worth the work. Hardpipes will def. help your spool time and a high flow cat will also help. There isn't a ton you haven't done, time for a bigger turbo! :-)

Lol. It pulls harder and harder all the way from 2500 to 6500. I'm looking for it to start pulling from at least 2000 rpm and less turbo lag between shifts. Also a harder pull :)

Yeah I think you need a turbo v8...lol

You realize if you get a turbo that will pull much harder it will generally spool slower? Why do you want power at 2000 anyways?

Do you have a bov on the car? Your bov might not be working very well and causing the car to be very rich in between shifts

Lol. It pulls harder and harder all the way from 2500 to 6500. I'm looking for it to start pulling from at least 2000 rpm and less turbo lag between shifts. Also a harder pull :)

Not possible. The simple fact is that the revs have to come before the psi because your waiting for the exhaust pressure, which needs to build in the hot side compressor, to then build pressure on the compressor side, through all the piping and into the TB. This just takes rpm and time. If your building pressure at 2500 your done. Hardpipes, like I said, will help, a little...but our motors already have decent torque to get you through idle to 2500. If you want instant power, by a V8 like Wolf said. Turbo motors have lag, that is their nature. Some more than others, but they all take pressure to spool and that pressure comes from RPM. If you are planning on going to a larger turbo, you will have more lag plain and simple. The larger the wheel, the more time it takes to compress it and create positive PSI. Most people with larger turbos are making full boost at 3K, some with really big turbos don't make full boost till 4K. If you want a streetable larger turbo, put a S16G on there, it will spool as fast as anything out there and still make a little power up top. The 17c is also quick spooling turbo around the same CFM (550). But you aren't going to find a larger turbo that spools quicker than your 14. Frankly, you don't notice it when your WOT anyway, if your looking for full boost and your at WOT, you go from 2500 to 3000 RPM so quick that you won't even notice it. I honestly don't know exactly where I hit full boost because if I have it floored I am either glancing at the pressure gauge or the AFR but mostly my eyes are on the road. I am certainly not staring at the RPM gauge. I shift with my ears, not my eyes. I can tell what RPM I am at by the tone of the motor. Because of the nature of our powerband with the G54, the motor with the stock cam is done pulling hard by 5500 anyway so you don't need to run it up through red line. Now, if you have rollers, ported head, aftermarket cam, etc. that can be a different story.

I used to run a tep t3/t4 kit and it would spool @ 3.5k rpm's with a stock cat back and intake pipes. Then it started leaking oil from the compressor side. I wonder if I could have this rebuilt in Houston and have them change up the wheels for a little bit quicker spool. If I could get thqat turbonetics to spool at about 2.5k, that would be awsome. I would just have to modify my dp and get a bigger coupler for the inlet pipe. I have everything else to run it. What do you think? Should I call turbochargers.com ?

Pics please. How many miles? Shaft play, smoke, cracks or leaks? How long have you had it? How much boost were you running? How quick is it to spool? Why are you selling it? Is this the same turbo that came with the TEP kit? What's your asking price? Thnx

• 2 weeks later...
Still waitng on a good used super 16g. Got the 2.25" hardpipes in. What a difference! Way quicker response and spool up. A lot less turbo lag between shifts. Also my cat was clogged. Currently tuning the maf-t. :D

Still waitng on a good used super 16g. Got the 2.25" hardpipes in. What a difference! Way quicker response and spool up. A lot less turbo lag between shifts. Also my cat was clogged. Currently tuning the maf-t. :D