What size clutch

Baggerboy

Im getting ready to change my clutch in my 87. I would like to know which clutch i have the 240 or 225mm with out having to take it out and messure it. I would also like some recommands on a good clutch setup. Nothing to extreme but better than stock. Thanks

They are all interchangable, you cant put a 225 clutch on a 240 flywheel, but you cant take and put a 240 flywheel and clutch in your 87 if you would like, bolt and go. The 240 would obviously be better it has more surface area therefor should hold more power.

a stock 225mm clutch set up will handle oem power but if you up it to slightly more then 88/89 specs the 225 mm clutch will not last long , this is why most guys up grade to the 240mm fly wheel assy,, it can handle more hp with out increaseing the pp pressure,, the higher the pp pressure the more load is place'd on the engine thrust brearings, thus increaseing the wear on that brg,,, very heavy duty 225mm assys can cause worn out thrust brgs in a very short amount of time, badly worn thrust brgs can cause rod to block contact ,,this is bad and can distroy the rod ,crank and block

also truck engines have flat top non turbo pistons,, the turbo pistons are very heay duty and can handle a lot of power ,

but the larger mass of the turbo piston retains more heat thus the need for piston oilers , also the flat top pistons have high compression this reduces the max amount of boost you can safely run

one more thing a real quick rod brg failure is most of the time due to the rod big end being out of round,, always have the rod big ends check'd for out of roundness, it don't takemuch to streach them .003 to .007" out of round, and that is a sudent death for new brgs