Is my master cylinder bad?

hey_obie

I am losing break fluid between the master cylinder and the brake booster. I am trying to figure out if the fluid leak is a faulty master cylinder or the brake booster.

I have no experience with brake boosters, but I do not think they carry any fluid. They are vacuum devices.

So is it safe to say that if there is a brake fluid leak between the master cylinder and the booster, the back of the master cylinder is leaking?

Thanks

Obie

brake booster holds no liquid. its the seals in the master. You can buy a new one or get it rebuilt for a lot less. its just a few orings and springs.

see Rockauto.com for parts.

take off the master and the lines, clean the thing out, use a rebuilt kit, put it back in place and bleed all the brakes. you might want to also take this time to flush out all the dirty fluid from the lines and the reservoir.

Perfect. I was on Rockauto looking at the rebuild kit just before I read your post and was leaning that way. That is what I'll do.

Is it necessary to bleed the brakes if I remove all the air from the master cylinder before I connect everything up?

Thanks again?

How you going to remove and reconnect the lines without air entering them? Its the rusty fluid that causes the parts to fail and the calipers pistons to lock up. Somewhere, like in the service manual, you'll notice it says to flush out the brake lines once a year or so anyway and that wouldn't have ever happened.

yes, its necessary to bleed all the brakes. put the car up on 4 jacks, remove all 4 wheels. let the brake fluid leak out with the master out, flush out the master with brake cleaner, clean the reservoir with water and let it air dry, then when you bleed all 4 brakes, just keep pouring in fluid till it comes out clean.

get at least 2 cans of brake clean and 2 bottles of brake fluid. have a friend help you pump the brake pedal and top off fluid while you open the bleeder valve.

you dont need to have a one man bleeder, i find them weak. Just get 2 feet of clear vacuum hose and put it in a empty water bottle.

Do you still have the ABS unit?

I got you Indiana. Will do the flush. Thanks

Thanks KTD for the details on bleeding. I still have the abs unit. I guess you are taking me to the 'Remove the ABS project' which I have always wanted to do, but never did.

Edited by hey_obie