Bad Turbo causing different idle?

Jason

I know my turbo is on its way out, it has some shaft play and now it is blowing out smoke after I am on boost and shift. Recently (before the turbo started smoking) I have noticed my idle doesn't sound right. The idle smoothness feels pretty much the same but I can hear a difference through the 3" exhaust. During acceleration it sounds normal. Is there any chance that the bad turbo can contribute to the idle at all? The following items have been recently replaced, Plugs, wires, cap, rotor and the injector clips.

I'd rather not replace the turbo if I may have other engine issues.

If the turbo isn't spinning it will hardly idle. Shaft pluy side to side might not cause smoking but front/back will.

You got an OEM PCV valve? Your separator hooked up and not clogged?

How old are those valve seals?

The turbo is spinning as it does boost normally. I just checked the shaft play and there is play up and down, sidie to side but no play front to back. The motor was rebuilt probably 7 or 8 years ago but has less than 10K miles on it.

A new turbo has some shaft play, the shaft and bearings are all floating in oil. When the oil pressure hits those bearings everything is centered, the shaft is in the middle and the friction is from the oil and the surface of the shaft as it rotates. A scored up shaft spinning at 150k rpms Vs a nice smooth one can make a difference. You can at least polish out some of those mark if there are anyway. When you didn't feel it move front to back that's a good thing.

What you describe sounds like the oil separator is there and its not clogged up but the PCV valve was replaced with a leaking non OEM part from an auto parts store. You should go to your local Chrysler or Mitsubishi dealer and get one. Even a brand new motor with a bad PCV valve and when I say "bad" for the most part that means any aftermarket brand because they leak the boost through so badly under boost that it causes oil to blow past valve seals and can effect the turbo seals too. When someone rebuilds a motor that's vague whether or not the head was rebuilt. Even if they put in new valve seals they could have messed them up. You can take the valve cover off and look, use something pointed and poke at the top of the valve seal and see if its hardened up or not, if its hardened up they need replaced.