Want to replace 86 MAS to 87/89 & eliminate MAP sensor.

theajinator

Hunted on here for a while and couldn't find a forum to demonstrate how this is done. I have an 86 I'm working on that had the original pigtail & MAS removed so a 1G could be installed. I want to completely remove the MAP sensor and convert whatever wiring needed to support an 87/89 MAS setup. I have an 89 computer but not much for a harness. I also have a connector/pigtail and a MAS out of an 89. What can be done to resurrect this car?

Thanks,

-A.J.

You'll need the ECI wiring diagrams from both cars, there's different wires in each for different purposes and all the pressure sensor wires won't be used. Other than the fuel cut that you can eliminate with an FCD, you'll gain nothing by putting in an 89 ECU. If you want, you can use the 89 ignitor and you can still change the MAF if you like. You'll have to use 87+ injectors with that ECU and you'll need an 87+ idle motor but should get the whole throttlebody since there's no fixed idle screw on your 86 is there?

My objective is not to gain anything by installing the 89 ECU, I just have an 86 car that has no MAS because the original was removed. I do have an 89 MAS with a section of the harness containing the connector that can be used. I just want to know how to wire it up. I have no problem continuing the use of the 86 ECU if I can still use it with the 89 MAS and eliminate the MAP sensor. Thanks.

-A.J.