Cranking Pws or ASE?

Okay so after a long winter of installing and tuning I have finally got my Quest on the road. Nothing is perfect yet though, on a cold start up it takes 3 tries before it starts right. The first try it dies right out, the second it starts for a couple seconds then dies, and the 3rd usually fires right up and goes into the warm up process.

Would this be my cranking pulsewidths, or ASE? Ive tried tuning both but it still seems to stay the same. It used to do this plus after I was done driving it around it would restart but I was able to get that worked out because it seemed at full operating temp the ASE was too low so I bumped that up and so far it will stop and restart no problem but from a cold start it seems to be having some issues. Has any body experienced this at all or know whats going on here? I appreciate any insight anybody can give on the situation.

Thanks

Ethan

Megamanual.com

Be sure to set your base timing before starting your car (if it hasn't previously been set).

Typically, the first time someone tries to start their engine with MegaSquirt® EFI Controller, it starts after about 5 minutes of alternating various cranking pulse widths numbers to get started (on the Enrichments page), and changing the:

Cranking Pulse Widths: Remember that the cranking pulse widths need to be with ~0.5 milliseconds of the optimal value at both -40ºF and 170º F. Generally the -40ºF cranking pulse widths should be about 3 to 5 times the 170ºF number. If you over-estimate the correct values, you WILL flood the engine. Note that even in a 'piggy-back' application, do not set MegaSquirt's cranking pulse widths to zero. This will cause unpredictable pulse widths up to 13 milliseconds. Instead, set them to 0.1 milliseconds in that application. This allows very little fuel to flow.

Afterstart Enrichment: If the engine tries to start, but dies right away, you need to adjust the after start enrichment. Generally this should be between 25-45% for 100 to 250 cycles,

Warm-up Enrichment: If the engine starts but dies after a several seconds or minutes, then you need to adjust your warm-up enrichment. Use up to 15% greater than the defaults if that seems to help.

VE Table: Adjust the values at the idle kPa and rpm to get it to idle. You want to change the VE table entries while watching the engine MAP (in kPa) to try and lower the MAP as much as possible. Do this after the engine has warmed up. As you do this, the engine rpm will rise, and you may have to adjust the throttle stop on the throttle body to lower the rpm back to the desired idle speed. Once the idle VE are tuned, you will have to retune the afterstart and warmup enrichments

Edited by phinko