Main fusible battery cable

hoke2

Hi out there I need help. My 1986 Starion ESIR has no electrial power. I was on a trip driving over 2 hours came home parked the car. The next day went to start; no power to any thing, lights, ingnition switch, horn ect. Battery is up. Looked at factory manual wiring diagram. It says there is a main fusible link near the battery plus sub fusible link # 1 & 2 down the line some where. Can anyone tell where abouts the main fusible link is located on the main battery cable & 1 & 2? It has a chafe covering on it and is buried down near the frame and is very hard to check. Checked with test light down cable as far as I could reach. Had power.

hoke

The fuse link holder behind the battery, the one that has ECI on it. The positive battery cable, does it still have that original plug plug in connector on the positive battery terminal? Those corrode.

The original terminals had a ring inside the clamp and it corrodes between that ring and the clamp. You can clean those up or just throw them out.

the other end of the ground cable goes to the block and the frame rail below the battery tray.

Thanks Rabbit1

I think the fusible link is covered with a chafe guard so can not be seen with the eye. I would prefer not to pierce the cable with my test probe unless absolutly necessary. The main battery cable and other wires are secured to the frame where I can not move them around. Do you know if this fuse that is built into the main cable is replaceable or do you need to get a whole new cable?

The fuse link holder behind the battery, the one that has ECI on it. The positive battery cable, does it still have that original plug plug in connector on the positive battery terminal? Those corrode.

The original terminals had a ring inside the clamp and it corrodes between that ring and the clamp. You can clean those up or just throw them out.

the other end of the ground cable goes to the block and the frame rail below the battery tray.

Hi Indiana. Thanks for your help. I have driven this car for 24 years and pretty well know the engine compartment. Well guess what; your advice about the extra spade terminal on the plus side battery cable was there and it was clean. What wasn't there was the wire that was suppose to be attached to it which goes to the fuses. I looked down and there was the terminal laying below the battery tray. I saw it eairler, but assumed it was just a extra terminal for added accesories. I plugged it in and every thing works perfectly. I had been in the back country eariler that dayb on some rough roads and the battery must have shifted and pulled that terminal loose, but with the car running nothing happened because the altenator was pitting out juice. Just a guess. Anyway thanks again from out West. Hoke