Head removal/replacement

walawdog

Hey guys (and gals), I am a total Starion newbie here. I just picked up a silver on black 87 Starion and the former owner told me it had a cracked head. I just started work on it yesterday and I'd like to know what is the best procedure for pulling the head. I am guessing that if I disconnect the turbo from the exhaust and all of the other plumbing I can pull the head and the turbo off as one unit. It just seems to me that the exhaust manifold bolts are impossible to get to while on the car. Please somebody enlighten me! Thanks for the help.

You can pull the head with the manifold and intake on it. You first have to disconnect all the hoses and plugs from the intake,the undo the exhaust at the converter.Then remove valve cover,and remove bolt holding cam gear on,slide cam gear off,let it rest on the metal lip attached to the block,and then remove head bolts. after that head should slide straight up and off block, you may need a extra set of hands to lift this as a whole!

Hey guys (and gals), I am a total Starion newbie here. I just picked up a silver on black 87 Starion and the former owner told me it had a cracked head. I just started work on it yesterday and I'd like to know what is the best procedure for pulling the head. I am guessing that if I disconnect the turbo from the exhaust and all of the other plumbing I can pull the head and the turbo off as one unit. It just seems to me that the exhaust manifold bolts are impossible to get to while on the car. Please somebody enlighten me! Thanks for the help.

Just leave the turbo on the manifold and rempve the precat from the turbine housing. Leave the intake manifold on too. The cam gear has a tin shelt to sit on just take the bolt out then pull the cam gear off and it drops down on to it. There are some hoses behind on the drivers side you'll have to remove and while you will see the head bolts there are also two small ones in the very front going into the timing cover. Take the oil feed off the turbo but not the adapter fitting. A new oil feed line from the dealer is about 15.00 so replace that line.

Now for the bad part. Its had coolant laying in it and the cylinder walls are going to be pitted, how bad you won't know until you see them. It may need to be bored and oversized pistons put in or it will be an oil burner and have too much blowby from all those pits it just depends.

I found out that removing the exhaust manifold was quite easy if ya have some ratchet wrenches,and can figure out the best possible way to get to the studs.

yeah i would just remove everything as a whole and its easier to have two set of hands. Just some advise is label everything and dont rely on memory...dont forget to mark the Dis Cap =). Some things you might miss and will need to disconnect is the one ground wire near the EGR valve somewhere and one coolant hose on the back. It sucks when you are pulling the top off and then its stuck because of that hose. good luck

Just leave the turbo on the manifold and rempve the precat from the turbine housing. Leave the intake manifold on too. The cam gear has a tin shelt to sit on just take the bolt out then pull the cam gear off and it drops down on to it. There are some hoses behind on the drivers side you'll have to remove and while you will see the head bolts there are also two small ones in the very front going into the timing cover. Take the oil feed off the turbo but not the adapter fitting. A new oil feed line from the dealer is about 15.00 so replace that line.

Now for the bad part. Its had coolant laying in it and the cylinder walls are going to be pitted, how bad you won't know until you see them. It may need to be bored and oversized pistons put in or it will be an oil burner and have too much blowby from all those pits it just depends.

^^^^^^^^^^

BEST ANSWER

(& Don't forget the ground wire under the intake manifold)

Thanks for all of the replies. Forums like this are awesome and really help. I also have another motor for the car and now I am thinking I should just pull the old one and put in the other one (although it too has a cracked head and needs repair).