Who is running a 16g?

Spoolin88

Ok i just bought a 16g and its in the process of getting rebuilt, i was wondering how hard thid is going to be to put on. Pretty much im asking "What do i got to do?" Like peices i have to buy, running oil lines. if anybody could give me a step by step of what i need to do and what extras i need to buy, it would be greatly apreciated

Thanks

Dustin B)

Edited by Spoolin88

Depends on what type of 16g you have. What did it come off from? I'm guessing not a starquest.

If your 16g is at a shop then you should take in the exhaust housing from your stock turbo. Tell them you need it opened up and made to fit the tdo5h exhaust wheel from the 16g. I did mine myself. After you get it back you will need to clock the compressor housing so that the outlet will face in the correct direction. Mine had a pin in the cartridge and a grove in the housing so it couldn't turn. I used a dremel to make a grove where I needed it. Next you need to figure out a wastegate. I used the one that came with my 16g and modified it to fit. Oil and coolant fittings should bolt in no problem. Use new washers.

yeah its a TD05 EVO III. i would like to have my 12a turned into one but not for 600+.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Dustin

Edited by Spoolin88

So it's a DSM turbo? Post up some pics.

If it is a DSM unit, using that turbo would require modifications to your exhaust manifold, downpipe, and turbo to intercooler pipe.

Get your stock 12a exhaust housing machined out and the compressor housing. Then you can bolt on and go.

-Robert

Either one will work but Komeuppance's way is WAY easier

Yeah im going Komeuppance's way.

Thanks for all the halp guys, i know everyone gets tired of hering the same questions over and over again. I searched for a topic close to this one but the search bar isnt much help.

thanks again

Dustin B)

Any reputable turbo shop can do the machining and balancing in the $100 range. The only thing that will drive the price up a little is how much you have the inlet/outlet portions of the compressor housing ported.

Yeah im going to call today and see how much machining cost. the low 100s range is fine but when they guy said over 600 to upgrade the 12a i was thinking WOW. :lol:

Dustin

Make sure you check what 16g compressor wheel you have, that will make a big difference on the amount of machining needed. A S16g wheel has a superback design which requires the center cartridge to be machined also and the rebuild kit is different. You can identify this by looking at the back of the compressor wheel if it has a curve to it, it's a S16g, if flat it's a 16g. You can also look up the inducer/exducer specs and measure the wheel.

Make sure you check what 16g compressor wheel you have, that will make a big difference on the amount of machining needed. A S16g wheel has a superback design which requires the center cartridge to be machined also and the rebuild kit is different. You can identify this by looking at the back of the compressor wheel if it has a curve to it, it's a S16g, if flat it's a 16g. You can also look up the inducer/exducer specs and measure the wheel.

Its not an S16g.

Dustin