Catalytic Converters - WHat to do and where to get them

bmreyna

So i am now being supplied with funds, I need 2 Catalytic converters, Front and rear.

I went to a muffler shop and they said they will install a new "rear" for 190$ flat.

they said it would be 600$ for the front "direct Fit" catalytic converter.

So i shopped online a bit and found that Magnaflow offers a Front cat ----> CLICK_HERE! for under 100$

will it work?

Why do you need one? Emissions?

What state do you live in. In many states, besides cali, a 20+ year old car does not need to pass emission and most quest owners do not have a cat, have gutted one, or have a straight pipe with no muffler even

But to answer your question more directly, try rockauto.com

I live in Cali =D and yes its to pass emissions.

The car still have some problems performance wise, so i was going to take it to a shop but they said before

they can even start working on the car it needs to have 2 cats installed.

i have Gutted my 2 Cats front and rear. My bad =/ now im paying for it...

this is what rock auto has up

All of which are NOT california state Legal

1988 CHRYSLER CONQUEST TSI 2.6L 2555cc 156cid L4 TBI Turbo (N) SOHC : Exhaust : Catalytic Converter Wiki Price

AP EXHAUST Part # 602204 More Information About this Part Universal; Standard Duty -

with Intercooler;Federal Emission vehicles. Not legal for sale for vehicles licensed in Calif..; Universal (Only 3 Remaining)

$63.79

EASTERN CATALYTIC CONVERTERS Part # 83165 More Information About this Part Part is for non-California emissions and cannot be shipped to California; Does Not Include O2 Port

UNIVERSAL; Front

$70.79

Add to Cart

EASTERN CATALYTIC CONVERTERS Part # 83164 More Information About this Part Part is for non-California emissions and cannot be shipped to California

UNIVERSAL; Center

$70.79

Add to Cart

EASTERN CATALYTIC CONVERTERS Part # 40123 More Information About this Part Part is for non-California emissions and cannot be shipped to California

DIRECT FIT; Center

$89.79

Add to Cart

BOSAL Part # 0793016 More Information About this Part Not Legal For Sale in the State of California

Rear

$106.79

Add to Cart

WALKER Part # 16293 More Information About this Part ***No Longer Legal for Use in California***; Direct Fit

Fed. & Calif. Emiss. Models.

$257.79

Add to Cart

EASTERN CATALYTIC CONVERTERS Part # 20148 More Information About this Part Part is for non-California emissions and cannot be shipped to California

DIRECT FIT; Front

$300.79

Add to Cart

BOSAL Part # 0793015 More Information About this Part Not Legal For Sale in the State of California

Front

I replaced my rear cat with a 'modern' high flow and have a gutted front (so it still looks legal). When I bought the car in from Virginia it had no cats at all on it. With the way I have it now I noticed no drop off in performance either.

It passed emissions here in NYC with flying colors, guy said it ran cleaner than a lot of newer cars he's had in. NYC pretty much goes with Cali. emissions rules, so my car has to go on a dyno with a sniffer. But to give this car it's due it does runs stronger and smoother than any Quest I've had , and I had one new off the showroom floor.

I agree with s189tsi. Run a Good Performance aft Cat. and a gutted or fake down pipe cat. These cars will pass smog with flying colors. That said, its got to be running great. Personaly, I'd get it running right BEFORE I put on a new exspensive cat. and ruined it. Run Rich or un-burnt fuel (CO) through a cat. and it's just a matter of time before it plugs up. The Dealer wrecked both of mine under New Car warrenty and wouldn't cover them. That My 2 cents on me learning it the hard way, C300

NO emissions on the 86' next year...it's 25 ys old ! getting Big turbo Motor ready ! YAHOO

I'm in SoCal. I've passed smog test and visual with just 1 cat. I've done it with a gutted pre-cat and with just a 2.5" DP and the secondary cat in place. I've passed the test with an OE secondary only and with an aftermarket secondary. This has been on three different SQ's and over the course of 11 years.

If I were you, same yourself some money, install just the secondary cat. Leave the gutted precat, say nothing to the smog check dude, they don't need to know. It will pass emissions with a new aftermarket secondary.

Also be aware that universal cats are no longer legal in California. It sounds like the price that place gave you is for universal cat, the new cats would run you about $300+. In other words, grab the universal before they run out.

I'm in SoCal. I've passed smog test and visual with just 1 cat. I've done it with a gutted pre-cat and with just a 2.5" DP and the secondary cat in place. I've passed the test with an OE secondary only and with an aftermarket secondary. This has been on three different SQ's and over the course of 11 years.

If I were you, same yourself some money, install just the secondary cat. Leave the gutted precat, say nothing to the smog check dude, they don't need to know. It will pass emissions with a new aftermarket secondary.

Also be aware that universal cats are no longer legal in California. It sounds like the price that place gave you is for universal cat, the new cats would run you about $300+. In other words, grab the universal before they run out.

A couple of suggestions..

1. Keep the gutted pre-cat, as long as it looks stock most smog stations don't know the difference

2. Run a pre-test as this will save some grief if U fail, since the Mitsu cars were logged in as heavy polutters in CA

3. Be sure to kleen/purge the EGR, pull the EGR kleen out the throttle body passages with a small brush and plenty of carb spray. If not U may fail due to high NOx

Jut my $0.00...;)