1986 Conquest TSI electronic boost controller?

crylra

I have a cat back exhaust, and a K&N filter (not a full cold air intake)... is an electronic boost controller my next logical performance booster? How much boost can I run without shortening engine life considerably? I read a lot about injectors on here... is that something I need to mess with first?? Any and all insight would be most appreciated.

Cory

Have you changed all your fuel filters yet?? They most likely haven't been changed, ever. That's your next logical step. While you're down there, you should upgrade the fuel pump.

Turning up the boost requires more fuel delivery, without it your engine will melt down... literally. This is one of the fastest ways to destroy a turbo engine, turning up the boost without the proper fuel delivery.

Before the EBC, you'll need to FCD the ECU, take a look at the FAQ's.

-Robert

indeed!, make sure your fuel system is in check and out of the way before you add more air or introduce more air to the engine.

that will be one less thing youll need to worry about in the long run.

Daniel

Most people will recommend rebuilding the motor before trying to push much boost out of it. At least, I imagine, changing the head gasket is a good idea. I will point out, however, that stock boost for your '86 is 7.5psi, and stock starting in '88 is 10.5psi, so upping to 10.5psi may be OK. Also, I think the fuel injection setup is different in your '86 than '87+.

get a wide band on before you go turning up the boost. if it was not for my wide band i would have blown up my engine when i first turned up the boost. Some one had put the wrong fuel pump in my car and it was slowly failing. Causing my afr's to go up when i boosted over 11 pounds.