Another build questions post.......

NadesX

Let me add that I'm 30 something, and in my occupation sigh....school is never over... heh I made it sound like I was 20ish.

So I've finally bought another quest. My 2nd car out of high school was an sweet stock 87 that I loved alot until I hydroplaned into a highway sign. I had the opportunity to buy a decent 88 TSI with a few mods and I started to think about what I really want out of this car. I really want to keep the car as close to what it fundamentally means to be a conquest(2.6, SOHC, RWD, TBI, etc) I would like some honest reasonable opinions on a few ideas I have.

1. 500hp/600tq on TBI, from what I've read here, I havent seen any posts of a conquest on TBI with that much hp/tq, is it even reasonable to expect TBI to deliver that much fuel/power(assuming you upgrade all other systems ie ignition, turbo, intercooler, MAF, etc)

2. I am not a mechanic but I can learn anything quickly, how difficult is it to build up a g54b short block with new parts?

3.Which would be more cost effective? to squeeze every last hp out of a TBI, and try to get 500hp/600tq or upgrade to MPI?

Edited by NadesX

1 No never ever ever ever ever ever you will be luck to make 300hp

2 Just like any other motor but if you don't have to tools/experience let someone else do it or get help

3 500hp/600tg on tbi will never happen and that much power from someone of your experience and age is ridiculous.....start small 16g 3"exhaust and have fun with it, learn to drive, save your money to go to school, move out of your parents place, etc

500-600 hp on a tbi system is completely doable, unfortunately not our tbi system.

MPI is the way to go but I would still keep your power goals realistic.

Honestly, 250-275 at the wheels on a tbi car is alot of fun, I would shoot for that first, then decide if you want to go further with the car and if you want to make the investment into making a high HP quest. To get to 250-275 I would suggest a rebuild with good, forged components. A shop doesn't charge that much to assemble an engine once the machine work is done. I'd let them do it.

Sorry its late, Im not some fresh out of high school newb.Im old like bha280....

In regards to TBI, I figure as much but I just want to be sure. As far as engine building, I guess I cant do that with a 10mm socket and I dont want to waste $ on new tools unless those tool are going to cost alot less than a shop to do it, does anyone know someone local in the Dayton,OH area who is familiar with these engines? I'd rather not bring a block to just any old shop.

1 No never ever ever ever ever ever you will be luck to make 300hp

2 Just like any other motor but if you don't have to tools/experience let someone else do it or get help

3 500hp/600tg on tbi will never happen and that much power from someone of your experience and age is ridiculous.....start small 16g 3"exhaust and have fun with it, learn to drive, save your money to go to school, move out of your parents place, etc