turbo lag?

chris3100

i'm new here and just bought a 88 starion. my car runs great except a hesistation in 1st and 2nd gear on med. & hard acceleration. once i get into 3rd 4th and 5th is not there. this is my first car with a turbo ,is this normal ?

We will need more info. But just from what you describe, it could be the vacuum advance. A good rule of thumb with a StarQuest is #1, go through the entire engine bay first to get a good base of where you're at. Do a basic tune up, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fluids, replace injector clips (super important). Check timing and all that good stuff.

Once that's done, you can begin to rule out all of the above replaced parts. A hesitation can be from a bad distributor vacuum advance, usually happens around 3K rpms. Easies way to test it is put your mouth on the vac advance port and suck, if it gets hard to suck, then it holds vacuum. If you just keeping sucking and nothing happens, it doesn't hold vacuum, the diaphram inside is ripped and just flows air through.

But, I'd go through the FAQ section if I were you, being new and all you'll need familiarize yourself with the car, the terms and the basic character of these cars.

We will need more info. But just from what you describe, it could be the vacuum advance. A good rule of thumb with a StarQuest is #1, go through the entire engine bay first to get a good base of where you're at. Do a basic tune up, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fluids, replace injector clips (super important). Check timing and all that good stuff.

Once that's done, you can begin to rule out all of the above replaced parts. A hesitation can be from a bad distributor vacuum advance, usually happens around 3K rpms. Easies way to test it is put your mouth on the vac advance port and suck, if it gets hard to suck, then it holds vacuum. If you just keeping sucking and nothing happens, it doesn't hold vacuum, the diaphram inside is ripped and just flows air through.

But, I'd go through the FAQ section if I were you, being new and all you'll need familiarize yourself with the car, the terms and the basic character of these cars.

Remove the pcv valve and shake it to and fro, if it rattles your ok, if not replace it! Randy (Dad) sales oem pcv turbo applications. Chase all your vac hoses for cracks and leaks, vac advance may need replaced or your turbo may need rebuilt. Remove the turbo inlet hose and check for shaft play, if it moves side to side (not to much) its ok, up and down is bad... Right before my turbo went I experienced some of the same issues! Good luck