Starting my swap project

A.Wilder

Hello, after having a small fire i decided to sell the 4 banger and transmission to a friend of mine and start a V8 swap. I decided on the 5.0 ford because it is cheap, powerful, sounds good, and its a pretty commonly swapped engine. I have done some homework but i am by no means an expert. I have done engine swaps using the same engine, but never from a different manufacturer all together.

This is what i am starting with:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/polizei16/Starquest/PA070420.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/polizei16/Starquest/PA070445.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/polizei16/Starquest/PA060408.jpg

Sold the engine and tranny to the kid that owned the car before me. He started another starion project just recently.

Now i am searching for my donor. I originally wanted to find a wrecked mustang, but have not had any luck yet. I have some good leads on an explorer. Are the explorer 5.0's just as easy to swap as the mustang?

I will add pics as I make progress, going to be gone a bit this month so i wouldn't expect any work to get done until later in May. Pulling the old motor and prepping the car for the V8. What can i do in the engine bay to get ready for the swap? Other than clean and take care of any rust :)

Thanks for the help already, tim_si and everyone else who has posted in the forums, i've read a lot of the builds and posts so i hope i dont have too many annoying questions for you all.

if its a 5.0 explorer it should fit just as easy as the mustang, and i think the exploder is a full roller rocker with a better intake mani. but dont take my word for it, just things i heard b4. Edited by joey_crandall

As far is engine management, what ECU's should i look for? mustang 5.0 or will i have problems with obd1 odb2 etc.? Is it just a matter of changing over the sensors on the block to match whatever the ecu is? What can i take off the Conquest electrics-wise?

X15 is serbia black. Looks like a nice car to start with, good luck!

Phil said it.

Still looks green to me though. :wacko:

Thanks for grabbing those numbers for me dude, good luck on your swapage.

Bought a 302 for $25. Its a mercury marine with pistons, cranks and rods. Normal rotation (duh) no heads or intake or oil pan. Pretty much just block and rotating assembly, no cam. Came with one 351 head drilled for 302. Found some gt40p heads on craigslist and will hopefully get some soon.

you know theres a difference between a 302 and a 5.0.if you go with a 5.0 cam you'll have to drill the block for the brackets that hold the lifters in place.the 5.0 firing order is better and from what i understand the 5.0 makes more power.

i thought firing order on all ford V8's is the same?

FORD

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/images/Ford-50-351-400-V8_Firing-Order.jpg

CHEVY

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/images/Chevrolet-V8_Firing-Order.jpg

Edited by A.Wilder

i cant see your images but heres a link to some of fords firing orders.from what i understand in the 80s ford changed the firing order when they put the roller cam in the mustang 5.0 HO making it the same as the 351 windsor.the reason was that the 1 and 5 cylinder fired too close together putting stress on the front of the crank.it probably wasnt a big deal in the earlier years but with more and more power its a problem.also with the 1 and 5 firing together they had to fight for air from the intake.you can still make good power but the 5.0 HO is a better setup.there was a pretty good power gain when they switched but i dont know if it was because of this or the fact that they went roller since it happened at the same time.if you wanted to change your block to roller it can be done fairly easy.all you have to do is drill and tap the holes for the lifter cradles and use a roller cam.

http://www.302w.com/Firing-Order.aspx

Edited by tim si

As far as 5.0s from other models are concerned, the difference is in forged bottom-end internals and heads. I'm looking at replacing my Cobra shortblock with an Explorer or Lincoln shortblock, so I don't have to sweat too many bullets when I add boost.

As far as your block being a Merc marine block, they're built very stout. Consider this: Most production engines are designed with light-duty and lower revs for its' lifespan; marine engines are built with high revs for long periods of time in mind - it's a stout block, for sure.

I'm not sure if Mercruiser did anything different between Chev and Ford engines, but the Merc Vortec 4.3 that was in my father's '03 Bayliner took 14psi from a Paxton Novi2000 centrifugal blower for several years, and is still running strong to this day. We changed NOTHING on the engine longblock, aside from the bracketry to run the blower, and we re-calibrated the ECM for the additional flow and higher fuel pressure. Oh, and the higher redline [6800 versus the original 5100]. ;)

i see what you are saying about the 5.0 HO, i will have to do some research because i want more PAH! haha Thanks for the info guys! Me and my friend discussed the pro's and con's of the marine block and when all is said and done, it was $25 and its worth at least twice that in scrap haha

Very nice! I had that Trick Flow manifold on my '86 LX notch back in high-school. Pulled really nicely with ported GT40P heads, GT40 lower, and Hooker shorties.

A full donor car will be your best bet. I'm glad I've got the whole Cobra to pull from, else the little parts would nickel-and-dime me to death. :lol:

that will make a great car to pull from.the cold air pipe might not fit and those headers look a little too big but its a great start.ive got that intake on my silver quest.it really wakes that 5.0 up a bit.

well i used a set off a 90 lincoln mark vii.my photobucket link is in my build and theres a couple pics of them going into my red quest.you'll have to bend a couple of the tubes on the drivers side but it'll fit.