Wiring Harness

Knight of Mopar

Well after the constant electrical problems I am having with the car, along with the hacked together harness from the previous owner I am installing a new engine harness. Any tips on this by chance? Is there a connection in the engine bay like 2 piece harness or am I going all the way through the car? Thanks for any help

It goes all the way to the ECU, you have to remove the heater blower box the harness comes in behind it. The O2 wire is over to the side of that behind the carpet. What year harness you have could determine what year harness you get, the 88/89 harness is different from the others in how a couple wires were ran and the plug for the dash harness it plugs into is different size. The 87 harness has the right idle motor wires but not the dash plug you'd have to change that because the terminal size is larger (so is the plug) and the flatty harnesses are different too. Maybe someone already did this?

What's the problems with your harness? You can get all the same plugs the harness uses from a junkyard DSM harness and you can unwrap your harness and read a wiring diagram? Was this about the MAF plug didn't I post how those wires were to connect even those two pair were the same colors?

Its an 87 harness for my 87 car. Also Indy you need to see this wiring harness, Nate Dog can back me on this one. The guy has splices open everywhere inside the engine pay and half cobbled wires. My thinking would be to avoid any more hassle I can have with this car. Yes I can test and read diagrams. MAF is wired correctly, did 1 wire at a time. Also if you jiggle the harness inside the engine bay the car shuts off, let alone the car wont stay idling on one injector when I know which wire is the primary. I would rather put in more hard work versus running into another problem caused by the previous owner.

Well, how about you just unwrap what is there and you should be able to find the problem, sounds like a bad connection is all. What I'd suggest before you swap those two is to unwrap your harness you are getting and inspect all the harness one end to the other, fix the bad grounds and there are plenty, and get rid of the wires you aren't going to need. While you are in there, you can add in power wires for heated O2, boost gauge reference hose and power wires, lighting wires for them and you can do this by just using wires in there you wouldn't otherwise use like the ones for the EGR solenoids and you can run all new wires for both injectors. Not only is there the bad connections but what you'll find is a greasy mess of wires all in the intake manifold area where all that oily crap over the years runs down the insulation and those taped up splices and grounds are all in this same tangled mess and they are WET and they don't ever dry out. That's a sensor feedback problem when you are looking for some little tiny resistance from some CTS and your wires are all wet with water and oil and have open bare taped up splices right up next to some ground wire.

hey knight! Let me know how that wiring fix goes. I need to do something like that too. My 87 caught a nasty short and when I took of the relay box in the engine bay I saw a bunch of split wires and hacked up splices and a bunch of eliminated stuff. So I wanted to swap out the harness from that area.

john