tips on pulling crank pulley

livesTSI

bit of a newbie question here. ive got to replace my crank pulley and i know the process, just remove the crank bolt and whalla. but im a bit paranoid about rotating the engine in reverse when trying to loosen the crank bolt.

how does one do this without loosing the tension of the chain? id hate to have it skip on startup. thatd be a pain.

What some people have done is put a breaker bar on it with the right size socket, lay the end of the breaker bar on the ground, and bump the motor with the starter. That'll break the bolt loose.

It makes sure there is no spark at the spark plugs, that way there's no way the engine can start. If you've got a breaker bar hanging from the front of the engine you don't want the engine running! Unplugging the electrical clips to the fuel injectors will do the same thing assuming you have no fuel leaks.

For 5-speed cars, just putting the transmission into 4th gear and firmly setting the parking brake will hold the engine crankshaft from turning while you use a breaker bar or whatever on that bolt. For auto tranny cars, or 5-speeds with a really tight/stuck bolt, do the "jam the breaker bar into the floor" routine. Just pay attention to which way the engine/starter rotate so you get the bar jammed into the floor properly... get it backwards and the breaker bar will rotate/fly up and smash into the underside of the car.

mike c.

i got it. i just used the breaker bar on the ground method. worked like a charm. ^_^

however i found out the radiator (or at least the fans) HAVE to be removed for the pulley to slide off. pretty frustrating to find out. haha <_<

thanks guys