boost cut out

spedos1970

I'm having pretty much the exact same problem. When I get the car up to around 7-8 psi it seems like it hits a limiter. The car is 100% stock and haven't had it long enough to know alot about these engines yet. It seems to run just fine until then. Is there some sort of boost or fuel cut on these cars that needs deleting?

What years are your cars fellas? Only 88-89's were setup to run over 7.5psi. Spedos1970, i'll assume yours is an 88-89 based on your post.

Having said that, this could be all kinds of things. I've never had problems with gas less than at least a year old, but that's just me. It's easy to drain the tank though, there's just a 3/4" slot(breaker bar) for the drain plug.

-Dirty/clogged injectors.

-Corroded injector terminals and/or injector clips.

-Dirty/clogged fuel filters(three replaceable filters on SQ's).

-Fuel pump on its way out, symptoms usually get worse as the pump heats up.

-Wrong spark plug gap, spark being blown out.

-Wrong spark plugs, weak spark getting blown out.

-Crap plug wires, weak spark again.

-Gummed up mechanical advance, won't allow full sweep to retard timing or does it slower than normal.

-Cracked intercooler piping or cracked couplers(boost leak).

-Partially clogged pre-cat, you can't stuff air in if you can't get it out also.

Is there some sort of boost or fuel cut on these cars that needs deleting?

Some 86's have trouble over 10psi, while some are fine. Other than that, no.

my car is an 88 and it ran fine when i put it away the only thing that happened was my alternator went bad and my battery got real low but i changed the alternator on sat it is working fine but if i put the pedal to the floor it will sputter if i go maybe 3/4ths of the way then it doesnt do it.

What years are your cars fellas? Only 88-89's were setup to run over 7.5psi. Spedos1970, i'll assume yours is an 88-89 based on your post.

Having said that, this could be all kinds of things. I've never had problems with gas less than at least a year old, but that's just me. It's easy to drain the tank though, there's just a 3/4" slot(breaker bar) for the drain plug.

-Dirty/clogged injectors.

-Corroded injector terminals and/or injector clips.

-Dirty/clogged fuel filters(three replaceable filters on SQ's).

-Fuel pump on its way out, symptoms usually get worse as the pump heats up.

-Wrong spark plug gap, spark being blown out.

-Wrong spark plugs, weak spark getting blown out.

-Crap plug wires, weak spark again.

-Gummed up mechanical advance, won't allow full sweep to retard timing or does it slower than normal.

-Cracked intercooler piping or cracked couplers(boost leak).

-Partially clogged pre-cat, you can't stuff air in if you can't get it out also.

Some 86's have trouble over 10psi, while some are fine. Other than that, no.

Mine is an 87 and it's not like a sputter, it's like the rev limiter is hitting. 7.5 psi @ 4500rpm( maybe sooner) is right around where it is happening. Do you think maybe the previous owner has turned the boost up and the computer is saying no. Thanks for the list, that will give me something do this weekend.

The connectors to the injectors, they will get crusty. You tug and pull and twist to remove them and that might scrape the crust off but it also bent them some they won't grab as tightly. Clean them up and take something pointed and look to see that they are going to be tight enough when you put them back on.

Check to see your vacuum advance is working, it should hold vacuum and not leak, easy test remove the dist. cap and put a length of hose on the port and suck on it and see if the arm moves, you need to put your tonque over the end each time so you won't lose the vacuum and repeat and you should be able to completely cause that arm to draw in then the arm shouldn't move back if it does its leaking and is bad, if it holds its working. You don't have to go buy a vacuum pump to test those.

Guys I am having the same problem.. mine is a 86 with 15.000 miles on the engine..body has 86,000 so if I creep on the throttle it will run

fine and idles fine. If I go to 3/4 throttle and harder it will boost up to around 7 or 8 psi and falls flat and sometimes will backfire.

now I just got the car about a week ago so everything thats done to the car is subject.

So somebody please explain this 86 ecu thing and maybe help me fix this.

thanks

Thanks indiana will try that over the weekend.

Just curious have you guys checked error codes (not sure that will show any problem that is related just saying)

Also again check your vacuum advance.

Its the little round disk shaped thing on the distributor. Unplug it from the throttle body and suck on it and see if it holds.

Being an 86 its picky about dirty injectors and if its backfire that's usually too much fuel or poorly dispensed fuel and ya it will backfire. You can test the vac. adv. unit. Take the cap off and pull off the hose and suck on it and stick your tongue over the end of the hose and repeat that until you get the arm pulled in then wait and see that it stays in, as long as you keep the vacuum in the line by leaving your tongue over the end of the hose. If the arm moves back out its bad and you need to replace that asap. Its in the $55-65 range.

Here's what it does and some symptoms of a bad one:

http://www.b2600turbo.com/distributorvacuum_advance_unit.htm

Is it hard to start especially not to long after it was shut off? Does it smell like fuel? You get really bad gas mileage? Injector cleaning runs about 35-50.00 maybe you can get it done locally or send them off.

For example:

www.witchhunter.com

The connection to the turbo inlet can't have any leaks at all nor can any of the intercooler plumbing.

I checked the vac advance last night and it held fine.. I am running a 1g mas.. the injector clips are new and I need to get a lite to check the

codes. Thank you guys.. I have a new set of injectors that i can install to see if thats the prob.

see ya

Joe