'86 seatbelts into '88 conversion

Richie_Rich

I am about 95% finished with converting my automatic seatbelts to the '86 style.

Luckily I had an '86 parts car with a good interior.

I still have a couple of issues, but I need to post now before I forget things.

This is a big job.  When you get everything taken off, it will look like you are stripping the car.

Parts you will need from '86 car:

A-Piller covers

Headliner

Trim for headliner to door frame. (metal U-shaped pieces about 2' long)

Clips for the above trim pieces

door sash trim that covers where the '88 belt attached to the door.

The A-piller clips

Back seat side panels.

Back seat transition pieces from side to roof.

Carpet (There are cuts for the '88 seat belt reels that would show)

Center console up to the shifter piece

All trim and brackets from doors including the seat belts.

Seatbelt receivers on the seats.

You don't need the rear center extension piece of the headliner or the rear padded shelf like pieces above the rear seats.

Procedure:

Switch out the door interior and seatbelt pieces first. (You can still drive the car until you are ready to switch everything else)

Remove seats, rear seat cusion, center console, rear side trim pieces, rear headliner extension, rearview mirror, a-pillar trim, sun-visors, headliner, front kick panels, little panels that cover the sides of the radio, '88 seatbelt reels, Automatic seatbelt tracks & carpet.

To remove the rear center head liner extension piece without ripping off the brackets, slide the whole thing forward.  The plastic clips should slide out of the brackets.

The Automatic seatbelt cars have a metal piece at the top, rear of the door frame that needs to be removed.  I have a sharp cold chisel I used to slice it off along the main profile of the frame. Basically they used the same structure, but added this web like piece for the curve of the automatic seatbelt track.

Near the top of the a-pillar, there is a springsteel bracket for the automatic seatbelt track.  The screw is really tight and it's close to the windsheild. Take a pliers and turn the bracket which will loosen the screw.  (The first one I did, I ended up just snaping the bracket off because I stripped out the screw.)

Under the center console, you need to remove the whole bracket for the mount of the automatic belts.  There is an electrical connector for the release levers.  Run a jumper between the two wires so you don't get a constant beeping from the seatbelt computer.  I choose to leave the seatbelt computer in the car.  It's located under the radio and a pain to disconnect.  Plus, I'm not sure if it interacts with the main ECU.

The '88 seatbelt receivers on the seats have the indexing pin in a different location.

You need to drill a 1/4" hole in the correct location so the receiver points in the correct location.

The doors are the hardest part when it comes to switching mounting brackets.  It's nicer if you have a complete door you can just switch one part at a time.

There are threaded studs along the top of the door frame for the atomatic track.  Currently I left these in place.  It pushed the headliner in a bit along the top, but the metal trim piece holds it just fine.  I haven't attached the passenger side handle yet.  It's possible the studs may have to be cut off.

As you can see this is a "No going back" modification.  I'm sure I'll be getting "That's an '86", but I don't like those automatic shoulder straps going by my face when I'm trying to get out of the car.

I'll finish adding any notes here when I think of them.

Rich

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Not at all.

If you look at an '86 you will see all they did was add the web piece to how they had it originally.  All I did was cut the web to follow the original joint.

I'll try and take a couple of pics this weekend if I find the time.

I suppose you could drill out the spot welds.

They make a drill bit for this for people restoring cars.

I decided if I wanted to go back, I'd find the web pieces and worry about it then.

I don't think you really even need them.

Rich

I just tried taking a look and getting pictures, but the piece that makes the side of the rear passenger compartment covers up most of it.

I should have taken pictures when I had everything apart.  Sorry. :-[

When you have the headliner out and that rear side piece, you will see.  The web part is only about 4" x 3"

Rich