few questions for the JZ boys

Maine_TSI

trying to get my swap moving- on a super tight budget

i have a lot of parts already and can buy a few more but i need to keep it to a minimum for now.

if i can just get it swapped and moving under its own power ill be happy. Then next year work out the bugs and upgrade brakes, wheels, tires, suspension, etc.. to make it safe... $ permiting of course :P

stickign with the supra auto for now.

1) anyone know if the auto will fit the tunnel without hammering/modification?

2) if factory driveshaft can be modified to work, or if not what length to have one made?

(using vettekiller solid engine moutns)

might start with untuned single turbo (Sound Performance 61mm setup) on JDM 440s for now.

3) Can the factory fuel pump and or fuel lines support low 400 hp range? do i need to upgrade both or just the pump or none? if so what is reccomended for a pump setup and aftermarket lines

(long term goals would be a 650 - 750 hp range turbo setup years from now) i also have an aftermarket fuel system and map 1 ecu for managment but not sure if i want to do all that right now.

going aftermarket mishimoto 1G eclipse xline radiator

4) anyone use the clutchfan with a modified shroud? or do i have to go with 2 slimfans

ive heard SPAL are the way to go and shy away from mishimoto fans... open to reccomendations

5) is there enough room after putting the radiator in front of the ?crossmemeber? to run Pull fans towards the engine, or would it need Push fans in front of the radiator.

Aftermarket exhaust is too much $$ for now

6) can i get away with using the stock exhaust with a custom downpipe untill next year or so...?

7) anyone have any intercooler piping brand that they reccomend or dont reccomend to fab up for my 3" inlet/outlet greddy style intercooler

8) what non obvious/enginebay visible items can i remove from the car... like ecu, other speed sensors / computers or miscelaneous engine electronics hidden in the car that will no longer be needed witht he JZ engine..?

im sure ill have few more but thats it for now

Thanks

Koren

Edited by Maine_TSI

those were my questions after reading....

i havent refreshed /reread all of the swap threads in a year or so...

4 active kids - single dad, Full time design job, and lots of hobbies = no free time!

i am planning on ordering up as many of the remaining little items in need on tuesday

from Driftmotion as they seem to have a lot of stuff i think i need

and can get it all shipped at once. was just hoping for a little more feedback so i dont buy crap i dont need...

So

reccomended Fuel pump/setup? (never going E85 likely to stay 550 -650 hp range)

push vs pull fans and what brand? spal for fal are reccomended elswhere - anyone here using a lower quality/cost that is on par?

oem timing belt and tensioner kit or Aftermarket like Gates or Greddy?

A lot of those questions like fuel system you could find anywhere. Just type it into Google. As for intercooler piping cheap just get an Ebay universal kit for 100 bucks. And for fans I would pm some of the jz swapped guys and see what they do. Or measure what you can fit. Plan on making custom driveshaft. And running stock exhaust will hurt your performance. If you handy with a welder make your own exhaust. Can have all the pipes for like 200. Timing belt like I said before check out Google tons of people have the jz motor. This isn't the only place to find answers like that. As far as tight budget goes everyone is tries to do it the cheapest way. But do it right the first time make take longer but worth it in the end.

The stock fuel lines can support low 400's. The pump and wiring can not. I would go with a 044 bosch. Power it with a 10 gauge wire from the battery using a relay. If you already have a 255, you might squeak by with that. A fuel pressure gauge in the car would be money well spent.

thanks for the tips

not looking to go as cheap as possible

but there are cheap parts you can get away with - ill scrimp where i can..

stock exhaust option is not long term, just to get on the rd

2nd hit on the bosh 044

and seems factoy oem belt is most common

Gates is good (its rebadged as greddy, hks, etc... for mucho $$)

I got my gates belt off eBay for under 75 bucks. As for fuel, I'm going with drift motion fuel rail kit, aeromotive 340 stealth in tank, -8an feed -6am return. I also have a buddy that's giving me his old Bosch 044 inline just in case the 340 can't support 500whp on e85. Ordered fuel pressure regulator kit from ebay for under 130 bucks. I'm in the same boat as you, Not wanting to cheap out but trying to save where ever possible. As for fan, I pulled a fan off a lincoln mark 8 for 15 bucks. google it, these fans pull 5000cfm. this is the fan im using in my stang along with a fan controller. Its a large fan so fitment could be an issue but the housing can be trimmed. Btw, i also 4 kids and they drive me nuts. You have my respect and well wishes doing it alone. Good luck Edited by jtmuncher

As for fan, I pulled a fan off a lincoln mark 8 for 15 bucks. google it, these fans pull 5000cfm. this is the fan im using in my stang along with a fan controller. Its a large fan so fitment could be an issue but the housing can be trimmed.

Thanks for the fan info checking into it now - think i found your post elsewhere...

http://www.modularfords.com/threads/194668-Lincoln-Mark-VIII-Electric-Fan

good info!

Yeah that's it. don't worry about using that DCC controller, their service is horrible. I can send you pics and information of the controller that I used And the way I trimmed the shroud. I also have a spare shroud From this fan that I can send you for fitment tests if you'd like.

Here's some information on the controller that I use. It's nice and the service is great plus i got it three days after I paid for it

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zFBJvljsO_w&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DzFBJvljsO_w

Bosh 044 on the way - sweet deal off ebay

looks like cx Racing 3" piping is the way to go for ebay price with decent quality.

not sure what kit is the best starting point. anyone care to chime in with what pipes and bends worked best for them

example: The first link has

• Straight Aluminum Pipe x2
  • 45 Degree Aluminum Pipe x2
  • 75 Degree Aluminum Pipe x2
  • 90 Degree Aluminum Pipe x2
  • U Aluminum Pipe x1
  • Straight Silicon Hose x6
  • 90 Degree Elbow Hose x2
  • Stainless Steel T-Clamp x16

here are 3 links of ones that i think could work - all a little different, but with 90 silicon elbows

http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1423.l2649

I'm thinking the first link /9 piece kit but just a guess....

you can get a belt at your local parts store.

The 1988+ Isuzu Trooper 4 cylinder 2.6 liter engine (4ZEL) uses the same belt as the Toyota 1JZ engine. So instead of getting a belt from Japan (~$100) you can pick up an Isuzu Trooper belt locally at an auto parts store for about $30 US. Make Sure You Get The 4 Cylinder 2.6 Litre Engine Belt!

Timing belt specs: 137 teeth, 25mm wide

thats what i used, think it was bout 30 bucks.

• 3 weeks later...

Don't cheap out on a timing belt that will ruin your engine when it fails. Get OEM Toyota t belt.

yah i would never cheap out on engine stuff! or any moving parts... i went oem toyota

how you liking your 6765 setup... i just upped the ante and got a 6766 and am not going to use my T61 setup.

overall this will probably slow my swap progress as now stock fuel and auto tranny probably arent an option even at super low boost to get up and running and work the bugs out.

I love my turbo and would never get another one. Makes tons of power and comes in almost instantly. But that's only good if you have a good set of drag radials under it. I ran stock fuel rail and injectors for a year and just made like 12-13 lbs boost. And it was still plenty fast.