88 TSi recieving SBC Stroker 383

batmanntexas

Hello to all!! It's been a while since I last posted. Just thought I'd drop a few lines to let everyone, or anyone interested, know how my project is coming along. First, let me say that this is a much more challenging conversion than I originally thought it would be. The front end is completely stripped down, the factory motor mounts gone, core support mostly gone, frame rails for the bumper mount have been narrowed. Custom made motor mounts were fabricated out of 1/4" plate steel to hold the new motor. 2'' square tubing has replaced the main core support, located approximately 2.5" further back than original location. The narrowed frame rails permit the fitment of a custom aluminum radiator with high flow electric fan in place of the stock radiator. Still trying to figure out if I'll be able to keep the A/C. The transmission mount has been tossed in lieu of a new unit that locates a T-5 in place of the stock tranny. The transmission tunnel has been cut and modified to fit the T-5. Haven't finished with the tunnel yet, so can't put the dash back into place to see how much I'll have to modify the center section.

I'd like to put some pics on the website, and if anybody is interested, I could put some video footage on CD and share it with others.

This should be an awesome ride once it is finished. I'm trying for around 500 HP on motor alone, then it's turbo time!! 8)

--Scott

Wow Scott! This sounds like a very involved project, but well worth I'm sure. If you could, post some pics in here, because I would like to see what you cut and fabricated. A NA 383 is sweet, but a turboed 383 is diabolical! Thank god the stock rear ends can handle that(at least that's what I've heard). Good luck and I hope you finish it by next spring so we can all see it on the road!!

Dave

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
It scares me hear that you had to modify the transmission tunnel to fit the T-5. I picked the T-5 over a Tremec for my swap because I 'thought' the T-5 would have fit without modifying the tunnel.

Care to share pics?

Tony C on here has a tremec in his,i dont think the tunnel was raped to install it.

here is one that had the tremec in it also.

http://www.mmatkosky.homestead.com/