Reverse

Parking brake

Ground

and some will have one or three additional comunication wires

You will also need a GPS antenna

Navigation unit

Some type of display

Control unit and/or remote control

External speaker (optional, nessasary on radios without mute/mix capability)

They are really easy as long as you are patient getting your original location correct.

The VSS wire is is the only thing on these cars that would be tricky.  To the best of my knowlage there is no true VSS wire for items such as speedometer, speed controlled volume for the radio, and electronic cruse control.  But my best guess to find a usable signal is from the ABS pulse generator on page 8-89 of the 1989 electrical manual.  This is a shielded cable at the pulse generator and at the ABS unit, be CAREFULL the ABS unit has two shielded cables connected to it with the SAME color WIRES in them.  The wires will be white and black in both locations.  It appears to be an analog signal referenced to ground but as to which wire is the signal wire your guess is as good as mine.  Lets just say white.  There is a connector at the sensor, the ABS unit and in the drivers side kick panel.  In order to maintain the integrity of the signal I would run the wire to the ABS unit in the hatch on the passenger side under the false floor.  Strip back one inch of shielding and connect the wire there.

If that wire doesent work there is a magnetic sensor you can get for the driveshaft that will give you the signal you need.  It is basically like a crank trigger for your ignition but on the driveshaft for vehicle speed instead of rpm.

Most good systems will use five inputs for calculations:

GPS tracking

VSS

Gyroscope

Compass

Direction (forward or reverse)

The cheap ones you stick on your dash have only GPS and maybe a compass.  

MAPS ARE KEY

The cheap ones have little or no information saved in them. (no planning trips or daily routes, phone numbers, adresses, favorites, groups, types.)

The CD rom based navs are ok if you don't travel far but what good is that. $100 a CD isn't cheap either, 6 for the whole country.

DVD is the only way to go, everything you need. $200-$250 for a DVD that you should upgrade every 3-5 years.  These systems are only limited by the maping companies that are producing maps for the market.

E-Mann

Wow!!  :o What a reply! Thanks!

My wifes car has the DVD system. Our street is somewhat new. We built a house on it a couple of years ago. When we turn onto out street the Nav. system will come on the speakers and say "Make a u turn as soon as possible". It will keep saying it until we drive onto a street it knows. I guess it thinks I'm going off road.

Anyway now I know more about this system. Have you installed one in a StatQuest? I thought about putting one on top of the dash in the middle. And maybe installing it in an old headrest to mount on the dash. For now just a thought.  ;)