Weird noise, please help me figure it out.

MasterVivi

There is a squeak squeak squeak noise that happens only when I am in reverse, or when I let go of the accelerator.

Somebody said it might be my U-joint.

What do you guys think? It's really annoying, and makes my car seem like a junker, haha.

Also, I'm worried about damage it might cause to my new tranny, potentially.

Very possible it's a u-joint. Old/dried-out grease in one or more cups will result in squeeking. Eyeballing the joints likely won't spot the issue, nor will grabbing the drive shaft and trying to wiggle it/search for freeplay while it's installed on the car. Take the whole shaft out and flex each joint axis... bet you'll find one that is stiffer or "gritty" feeling compared to the others. When they are really bad you can often see rust colored dust between the cups and "+" shaped spider part.

When the drive shaft is removed, oil may try to flow out the back end of the transmission. A spare driveshaft yoke works as a cork but few guys have spare pieces like this lying around. Jacking the car so the back is significantly higher than the front (have the front wheels securely chocked!) will minimize the problem.

mike c.