Constant overdrive

First I would like to applaud the work that is done here. In an era of "everybody out for themselves" it is a testimonial of others working to help others.

My automatic transmission was rebuilt awhile back and runs and shifts perfectly except that it will not go out of overdrive mode. I have read all of the past history on your site and basically has told me this.

1.) This transmission had been used in many applications and is relitively simple to replace the bands, etc..

2.) Without any electric input it will default in the OD mode

3,) The OD is just an "add on" with one solenoid acctuator

4.) Vacuum runs the show except for the downshift solenoid

My problem is that when I depress the OD button on the shifter I can hear a "click". That could be a weak click and just means that the switch circuit is working and getting some reaction out of the solenoid. The kick down switch is OK although it does not emit a "click" sound when depressed. The reason for checking that is that when depressed the trans will not down shift. I have checked the switch but not the power to it as yet.

QUESTION I do not mind being in OD all the time as it definately is better on gas, however I was not quite sure that if I shifted down to 2nd from 60 mph ( for example) if the trans would be forced into 3rd until reaching the slower speed for 2nd to kick in. Would that happen?

QUESTION 2 .. What would you guys suggest for the overall fix? I am thinking pulling the OD solenoid and checking the plunger and overall actuation or something stuck inside?

Thanks for your help and parts that I have already purchased at this forum! :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have a 88 Conquest as well and have had problems with the overdrive. However, my problem is the opposite, as the cancel switch has no effect and my car always had overdrive canceled.

I disconnected the overdrive cancel solenoid on the transmission, so that the car would always be in overdrive, much like the way your car acts.

Answer to Question 1:

You can't downshift the car into 3rd gear when you are in overdrive. Putting the shifter in 2nd, does just that, downshifts you to 2nd. Only way to get back to 3rd is to push the pedal down far enought to intiate the kickdown switch.

Answer to Question 2:

I would recommend that you test the voltage on the brown wire that connects to the overdrive cancel switch on the transmission. This solenoid is on the drivers side, near the front of the tranny. You should have voltage when the switch is depressed. If you don't then overdrive will always be active. If you have voltage then the problem has to be the solenoid itself.