grand national v6 turbo swap

jayro

we had this swap done years back and the car was rear ended. so everything to run it is allready made. cross member, motor mounts, tranny mounts, drive shaft& harness. ill get some piks up so you guys can see what was done for it to fit. for us its basically bolt in swap. so far we have gotten the blown 88 powerplant out, we took out the stock cross member and put in te modded one for the gnx.

piks comin soon

Edited by jayro

I would think the problem with this swap is finding a GN power train that wouldn't cost a fortune. The cars have become so valuable that I would think getting a hold of the motors would be difficult. None the less, a great swap. Looking forward to it.

Yeah T,

I am with you, no one is going to cut up a perfectly good GN for a conquest swap. I was just thinking that these cars are becoming so rare that even ones that are totaled are being scooped up by guys that already have them as backup motors, I could be wrong. Either way, glad to see someone got their hands on it. Very cool car.

I would think the problem with this swap is finding a GN power train that wouldn't cost a fortune. The cars have become so valuable that I would think getting a hold of the motors would be difficult. None the less, a great swap. Looking forward to it.

the power plant we bought was off of an older man (too old to work on cars). his brother was selling it for him, and the face he had on was soo sad that we felt bad. they guy didn't want to sell it but his brother was pressuring him too. all the guy said was "its fast" he didn't want to say anything about it. they had that engine stored for about 10 years. they literaly but rat poison IN the dp so mice wont get in. the motor on the outside looks old and abandoned. it has some moroso valve covers, some ss line and a remote oil filter. we unbolted the valve cover to find everything in the head BRAND NEW. it has some thick red anodized rocker arms arp studs valve springs. basically a STEAL for what we got it for. we looked in the spark plug holes and we can see it has aftermarket pistons from how clean it was in there. the guy told us not to touch it. just to put it in and run it. we bought it with the ecu, tranny, harness , turbo basically a complete power plant. basically turn key for an unbelievable $450 SERIOUSLY.

• 2 months later...
the engine is in and mounted. we swapped over all the 85 stuff to 87 , including intake manifold injectors and front timimg cover. waiting on a 87 ecu and harness or some type of programable efi system. were putting a holset he351 turbo with a 9cm exhaust housing quick spool ill get some pictures. my friends lazy

Yeah that turbo should spool pretty quick on a 3.8 I'm running a holset hy35, and my buddy is using a hx40, we both love em. I'm currently looking for a GN drive line, finding alot of motors with no harness or just the trans..ect..

Keep us updated, very interested..

Yeah that turbo should spool pretty quick on a 3.8 I'm running a holset hy35, and my buddy is using a hx40, we both love em. I'm currently looking for a GN drive line, finding alot of motors with no harness or just the trans..ect..

Keep us updated, very interested..

how does that hy35 spool on the 2.6? the he and hy are almost the same except for the compressor housing has a bend and the he351 has a 9cm exhaust housing and the hy35 has a 12 cm housing let me know the spool range. ill probably get one for my car

Edited by jayro

I started out with the WH1C and it had too much lag for my liking, so I switched to the HY35 and it's much better. Full spool around 3000, and it comes on hard! then pulls like a freight train all the way through.. Lots of top end.

I started out with the WH1C and it had too much lag for my liking, so I switched to the HY35 and it's much better. Full spool around 3000, and it comes on hard! then pulls like a freight train all the way through.. Lots of top end.

woahh makes me wanna try that turbo on my car espcially since the exhaust side is smaller

• 1 year later...
Hey man! I see no updates in your project. Are you still working on it? let us Know. I brought my black starion a couple of years ago with the same idea as you. I owned a turbo reagal before, and this engines are Great! but for now I keep smoking some tires with the 2.6 until the engine say " NO MORE ". Send pics.

we had the engine in mounted the tunnel to the starion re fabbed the drive shaft everything mechanical was done. theengine and ecu needed to be wired up but my friend lost interest in the project took the engine and tranny out and gave me the shell gnx ready. we built everything together, but hes going after a buick special 2 door or a buick skylark to put his engine and tranny into.