To those in NC---emission question

AlexNYC

Question for those that live in North Carolina.

For an 86 quest, Do I have to pass Emission for this vehicle?

I recently send my vehicle to NC and would like to register the vehicle, but I know it won't pass emission cause of the 3" front to back. It was okay in NYC since I know some people, but I'm clueless in NC. Help please, thanks.

They don't have an emissions test here. They will do a visual inspection to ensure the car has the original emissions equipment, but as far as testing for smog like California does, they don't. So if you have a cat that they can see when they look under the car, you'll be okay.

Where at in NC? PM me, I know someone that might be able to help you out........

In NC they simply perform a Safety Check for 1995MY and earlier vehicles. They will check for holes in exhaust, etc...but there is no OBD check or tailpipe apparatus used to measure emissions for '95 and older cars. Some inspection stays will perform a visual/tamper inspection as part of the Safety inspection as the car will be lifted about 1 foot and the hood will be opened. Based on what you have described I think you may be ok. Here is a good site for reference. http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/vehicle/registration/inspection/