Knoxville New guy

Toddone

Just wanted to say hello to everyone. I just got a 89 in really good condition. Only problem is wont go into first gear, feels like it will and it does sometimes. Have to go into to second and sling shifter into first to get gear to engage with no griding whatsoever. I am a master tech and work at a dealership. I have looked at all the obvious external possibilities. Shifter bushing a little worn, but poblem appears to be internal. Cant wait to dig in. Anyone close to me with a parts car, hit me up, would like to get a hold of some decent tan seats. My drivers is coming apart at the seams. I love this car, ever since I was in high school. Helped my buddy with his a few years ago so I know the potential. I got a great deal on my quest. I bough a 91 accord wagon for $400 with a broken timing belt. Slapped a new belt and water pump on it and traded EVEN for this quest. BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Anyway great to be here!

better clean gas tank , at least check to see if it is rusted out and while your in there replace all filters ........ sitting that long can be hard on fuel system good price and welcome to the place to help you fix your baby right !!!!!!!!!! lots of good starquesters with all the right answers ..........

Welcome Toddone. Great to have you and keep that enthusiasm alive. ^^^ What he said.^^^ You'll thank yourself later if you check and fix/repair all the little things now. These cars can be finicky and the one little issue can snowball into a major problem if you don't catch it early. Looking forward to the pics.

Thanks for info. Already drained gas before even started. Tank is not rusty. Replaced filter. Fuel at throttle body is clean and clear. The tranny issue is bugging me. Doesnt feel like it is an internal problem, but I am sure that it is. Went to store in the quest this morning went into gear almost every time. I am wondering if the shift fork is not bent slightly. I have been trying to buy a tranny this week for parts with no avail. I hate to pull it apart without parts to fix. Not too sure about part availability. I have a 1g maf sensor and another secondary injector from when I helped my buddy out on his quest a few years ago. I want to get everything working to factory spec before starting ugrades. I bought a manifold flange gasket earlier in the week. I dropped it off at the local tech school and I will get one of the kids to machine an exhaust manifold flange out of stainless for a grade for them and free for me. I plan to fab up a new turbo manifold. I can weld pretty good so really not a big deal for me. Like i said I will bring the car to factory specs before doing any upgrades. The car runs great. Everything works. except for the first gear issue. I am going to pull tranny next weekend and bust it open to see whats gong on. Here is a pic of my quest.http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x312/agent5568/1211110747.jpg

Toddone, I have a 5spd trans from an '88 Quest that I do not need. It is still in the car and I know nothing about the condition of it though. I bought the car with no engine and have not touched the car yet as we plan on tearing it down in January. I'm way over here in Charlotte, but if you are interested, let me know.