new guy here have 87 quest putting v8 mopar 360 in

union600

I know there is a forum "swapping enignes" but this site wont let me post there yet so have to ask here . i have a older 360 mopar enigine and want to put it into my quest which has a five speed orginally . i read the pined article and while it tells me some it doesnt cover the idea froma manual tranny idea. is there anyone that has done this with a manual tranny and a mopar engine? also does any one make the headers for these swaps or is there anyone that is familiar with making these headers?. i see mention of a d2 suspension mod for the weight issues where do i go to find these hop up parts for the quest ?thks for your time :) matthew

T56 or r154 with a 5 speed 90s Dakota bellhousing and some voodoo work with the pilot bushing/input shaft. About your only options for a 5 speed with a mopar. The truck transmissions are weak or have a granny fear and are clunky. Neither of which are appealing.

union600,

Welcome to Starquestclub. I have done some research on a few different V8 options for Starquests, and the only issue I see with V8's is whether or not it has a distributor on the back; Such as Chevy SB's, SBII's, Mopar SB's prior to distributorless ignition. 360's, of course, have a distributor. The problem with a rear mounted distributor is the amout of space that is needed. You would most likely have to either mount the engine too far forward to be practical or cut the firewall, but then you will not have easy access to the distributor for timing adjustments or plug wire changes, etc. It was suggested in one of the threads here on Starquestclub, that you could fabricate a access panel under the dash and adjust timing on the fly. HA!

Anyhow, good luck and keep us posted. on the swap.

• 3 weeks later...