Steering box bottom seal and dust cover

ColdScrip

1988 Conquest, daily driver.

Background: Pitman arm seal leaked, replaced with a national seal number that sits in place of the dust cover. This seal # was obtained from this site and other members used it without anymore responses. Figured it was a good fix. So I did this TWICE and both times the national seal popped itself back out.

Figuring I need to correctly repair the seal (that is inside the box) I went and did this:

Got new OEM from mitsu seal and dust cover. Pulled the shaft out to properly remove the bottom seal and inserted the new seal. I then drove the OEM mitsu dust cover back on. It finally reduced my leak but did not fix it. Have to fill up once every 3-4 weeks maybe.

Now, since I have to replace my starter I noticed that the dust cover has been pushed out. What the hell is going on here? Yes I put the seal and dust cover in the correct direction. I mean its to the point where I just said screw it and just filled it up, but when I saw the dust cover pushed out well now im curious.

Any ideas guys?

Edit: Is the shaft worn and thus making the seal not properly seal. This in turn allows fluid past the seal which builds up pressure on the dust cover and pops it out?

Edited by ColdScrip

Your pops is gonna freak when he see's this but I say go manual steering bro. It may be a matter of opinion on the driver but it's well worth the time and effort making the column work. Sorry Randy! :ph34r: