droning noise from rear end (i think it's a hub bearing)

88FIJIQUEST

I have an 88 tsi, and i have a droning/moaning sound coming from my rear end at all times. it gets higher in frequency the faster i go, and lower the slower. and when turning hard to the right (load on left wheels) the sound subsides, and when turning hard left (load on the right wheels) the noise gets louder and more defined. I have read that when a wheel bearing is going bad it will make a droning sound, but when the bearing is under load the sound will go away, and visa versa when the load is taken off it should be louder. Is this true? I am worried it could be my differential. Please help i am having a really hard time coming to the conclusion of this diagnosis.

If it helps at all, my diff leaks a little, but i am pretty sure the gasket for the cover is bad.

Also, when turning at a constant slow speed (i think between 5-15 mph) it makes what sounds like a stuck brake almost but it only makes a noise about once every half a second. that is what makes me worried it could be the diff. (Both CV joint boots re in tact as well).

yup sounds like a wheel bearing. normaly a rear end will make a constant noise and a hub bearing will change pitch as the load changes on the bearing. jack the tires off the ground and grab it top and bottom and shake it should be 0 play. but a bearing can be going bad and still show no play so if you cant figure out by play drive it in the air and see if you can hear what side its from

i tried the wheel play and there was zero play. also how long do i have to drive on the bad wheel bearing? because this is my daily driver and i would need to drive it while waiting for my new hub to come in the mail.

I havent done one on the starion yet but normaly the hub and bearing are 2 different pieces that press together. so if you have no play in the bearing then chances are the hub is good and can be reused when you replace the bearing but there is no was to know for sure till its all apart and you can see there the bearing races ride if its worn. But im not positive on the starion how the setup is. Most cases you remove the entire knuckle fromt he car press out the hub then remove any snap rings that retain the bearing and press the bearing out. then press the new bearing in reinstall span rings then press the old hub back into the bearing and reinstall the assembly.

as far as how long you have to drive on it. who knows ive seen them last along time that way and ive seen them grenade very fast know way of knowing. But worse case scenario is it goes all at once and the hub and wheel assembly tries to come off the car. normaly it wont because the caliper surrounding the rotor wont let it but if it gets that point your looking at replacing alot more then a bearing

thats good to know, but i might end up just getting a new hub anyway because i dont have a lot of the tools needed to replace the bearing itself.

however i still want to know how bad it is to be driving on it still? if there is no play then is it still safe to drive on it when needed?

okay thanks for the info. i guess i'll try to stay off of it as much as i can while i wait for the hub to come in the mail.. I appreciate the help.

One last question: If the noise is certainly coming from the hub area is it a guarantee that it is not the differential? thats my main concern.

thanks again for everything so far

well without hearing it myself i cant be sure of anything but from what you have described im almost positive. you can always have a buddy drive it in the air and you get under it with a scope and stick it in the area of the bearing then on the dif. and see where the noise is the loudest. keep in mind a bearing may not make as much of any noise when its unloaded. that will tell you for sure its the bearing if it goes away all together. the rearend should be consistant either way