4.6 swap

TSI_law

Well, after much debate I gonna start a 4.6 2valve/t45 swap in my '88 Starion. I've already did a 383/th400 swap, and a 302/t5 swap. I have the engine and trans already. I will need the wiring harness and computer. I did some measuring on one of my quest before and was thinking about using a modded tubular front k-member for a mustang. It's funny how close the measurements are between the mustang and the starquest. Meaning balljoint to balljoint, upper strut mounts. If I find that this is doable then I will be able to use the tubluar a-arms, and steering rack. Pretty much the whole front suspension from a mustang. This would alleviate the oilpan crossmember issues, steering issues, and the torsion rods going to the front radiator support. I will have to fab up some rear mouting points on the frame for the rear mounts on the k-member, but that shouldn't be too hard. I will keep ya'll posted on the results. This is in the begining stages right now. I plan to build another engine using an aluminum block, but that will be after I get the swap done. After I do some more measurements I'll post my findings and pics..

Sid

Edited by TSI_law

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the swap is on hold for now. Sold my DD so now I have to drive the Starion. I did find some good stuff that would make this swap easier. Found a front sump oil pan for the 4.6/5.4. http://www.dvsrestorations.com/sump.html (Summitracing sells the pan too). After measuring the hydroboost setup, you would need to use one off of a '99-'04 Mustang GT as the lines don't stick out as far on the side as the '96-'98. Hope this info helps.

I may continue this project in the future after I by another daily driver.

• 1 month later...

Interesting to know the 4.6 may physically fit in the engine bay.

I've been reading up on the Modular engines as of late, and have considered a 6.8 V10 swap, with a Mustang transmission behind it. Seeing that it's essentially a 5.4 with two more cylinders, and the 5.4 is 2" taller, 3/8" wider, and the same depth as a 4.6, it should realistically fit. Maybe not clear the stock hood, but width-wise it should be fine. If they can stuff these engines in vans and leave foot-room, they'll fit in a Starion. :lol: