shimmy at 45 mph and above

swifty

been tring to trck down a problem in an 88 auto quest, had a horrbile vibration fixed power steering, then found u-joints stiff, replaced them, and the great majarity of it went away, but its still there, i just put 4 new tires on it as well, so today i pulled the torque tube off the rear differential, and the shaft thats in it flops around alot, has anyone had any experience in the rear diff, and is that bearing supposed to let the shaft moare that much in the tube, it feels smooth when i roll it, any help is appritiated.

^ oh ok. gotcha. Yeah the spinning mass would cause vibration if it was out of balance. Do you have the blalance shafts removed? Maybe the rotating assembly wasn't rebalanced after removing the balance shafts? Is it a 5 speed or automatic?

The bearing inside the torque tube housing is a plain old bearing... it should turn easily but have no "slop" between the center portion and the rest of the bearing. The output end of the torque tube (i.e. the differential input) should be firmly supported by the differential too. So the torque-tube shaft should have no side-to-side type of play.

mike c.