Restoration of the HVAC controls

koulbreeze

Is there somewhere I can get a new digital HVAC control head? The metal flake is wearing off. Also on the steering wheel radio controls....

--or--

Does anybody know what the process is called to paste metal?

I recall seeing on tv once a process for crafts where they took paper thin sheets of metal and used a paste to adhere it to something. I had a buddy in high school that was a jeweler and also remember seeing him do something like that.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I wanted to post this in the restoration section but i guess my postings are too low in number.

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo141/koulbreeze/IMG_20111129_100319.jpg

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo141/koulbreeze/IMG_20111129_100310.jpg

Edited by koulbreeze

for the radio controls you would probably be better off getting another steering wheel (they go for pretty cheap; 20-40 dollars depending on condition)

for the HVAC, you have the older style, and I believe they sell as a unit (used of course) for around 60-80 dollars...The late model style, as you may or may not know, is devoid of the metallic finished buttons.

As far as recovering the buttons... is it possible to just make some out of aluminum, brush the finish, and then re-glue over those buttons?

Edited by Frenchi934

for the radio controls you would probably be better off getting another steering wheel (they go for pretty cheap; 20-40 dollars depending on condition)

for the HVAC, you have the older style, and I believe they sell as a unit (used of course) for around 60-80 dollars...The late model style, as you may or may not know, is devoid of the metallic finished buttons.

As far as recovering the buttons... is it possible to just make some out of aluminum, brush the finish, and then re-glue over those buttons?

Ya thats the idea i was thinkn. I'll have to go to the local crafts store and wander through some isles. I do want to keep this as stock as possible besides the head unit and just wire up the remote to the wheel controls. It's a project so ill keep up on the postings

the remote control wheel controls operate on an optical system. HOWEVER you can replace the head unit with an early model eclipse/talon/laser OR stealth/3000gt or if iyou can find one from overseas a magna head unit and have a cd player/ auxillary port and still retain use of the wheel controls.

I understand your want to keep the car stock, as thats what ive done with mine (although I did swap for an eclipse steering wheel and lost my controls for the time being).

If you put a new head unit in, get one that is OEM steering wheel controls ready and buy the 50 dollar adapter and they will work. As for recovering the buttons, you may have luck reseaching "gold leafing" and see if that can be done with other metals. ??

Looks like it's called Guilding.

Edited by Leeintheconquest

I have a plan on how to fix this problem...how many 87 (and earlier) Questers (or Starion-ers) would like a "Steering Control Cosmetic Refurb Kit? :)

Just as a feeler for now, but I may have a resolution to this issue.

I'll be grabbing a set of controls from the local junkyard (hopefully) this weekend and I'll see how well my idea works.

If it does it will come with everything you'd need to replace the flaking buttons under the horn button. And depending on it's effectiveness, I may create one for the HVAC control buttons as well.

What do ya think?

Cost would probably be in the $15-$20 range per set. I'll watch this thread and keep you updated with the progress.

-N8

• 2 weeks later...

Prototype 1 is finished... a little tweaking still needs to be done but here's what I have so far (this is not the end product, but it may be pretty close).

Before:

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff408/n8tallica1/DSC01574.jpg

After :

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff408/n8tallica1/SQC%20Items/DSC01596.jpg

Lemme know what you think! In order to do it a tad better, the end user may need to get a little bottle of Testors Silver enamel from the craft store or hobby shop to touch up the 2 'end' buttons after cleaning and maybe around the inside edges of the larger buttons where the overlay doesn't reach. I've found that once you sand the fronts off the perimeter of each button flakes off, and if it's not silver it will show a whitish yellow around the outside.

* Also it may be possible to change the color of the lights in these. They are white, backlit with a regular small bulb, so if one were to put a colored cell, colored transparent vinyl or even part of a transparent folder from Staples in the rear of the button before reinstalling you may be able to slightly change the color of the text from orange to whatever color you choose. I can't test this because mine doesn't light up, but while you have it apart...what the heck give it a shot. I'll have a walkthrough for this when the kits become available.

-N8

Edited by natallica

• 1 month later...