6 bolt block, 2g pistons(ebay $90) on moded oe rods
felpro composite gasket & ARP studs
2g head, evo3 oe intake
272 deltacams.com regrind, upgrade springs
DIY weld el small tube paired runner header
$150 junkyard holset HX35 = excellent turbo response
tuned via 'hacked' stock mitsu oem ecu

auto with shift kit & front clutch

3000+ pounds, ET 10.0 is rippin. Insane street car acceleration.
Pound for pound, better than a tweaked GN imo... mainly because its half the displacement. Legendary

Best fit & weight for a starquest.... with AC too. Easiest to work on
Can adapt to a built 4spd auto - jatco/starquest or mighty max

#2 obsolete

obsolete

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 03 June 2021 - 10:28 AM

Interesting. What do you think that would cost to build?
Buy the ticket, take the ride.

#3 jinx

jinx

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • Interests:I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Posted 04 June 2021 - 07:53 PM

Don't wanna undermine this guys capabilities. He's been at it for a while. Results paid off big time
cost depends on skills and where you fish

For instance, I wound up with a 2g head, evo3 intake and evo 8 intake (oe TB already faces suit rwd use)... all free, between moving about my circles and a buddy's shop. Seen a few whole crankwalked 7 bolt motors junked (heads included). No longer the case obviously

Watched same buddy make a few exhaust headers. Shave flange off stock mani, then mig/stick weld els. Small, short runners
Converge to flange. No dead walls or opposite flow.... like 'logs' for eg. Performed, never cracked. Hardly think $200 materials

DSM link ~$650 iirc..etc Lo buck line items listed. Info available to price

Autos can be moded to whatever stage. Seen em done on japanese Jatco or the dodge. Several DIY

Point is, extrodinary performance from a compact torquey motor at a very reasonable cost. Nothing exotic or baller at all

Another solid 4G rwd approach by a DSM veteran: https://www.sixsigma...mightymax-swaps
retain truck 2.4 block, 2G head(no more rear cam sensor), evo 8 intake, built stock auto(chrysler parts as Shelby said)

I honestly think a full street G54 could 10.0 :  Magna, header, QUALITY cam/timed + springs, freshened/beefed up Jatco
I'd run a precision 62 in a GN exhaust housing & internal wastegate

#4 obsolete

obsolete

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 08 June 2021 - 11:05 AM

That's what gets me about people saying 4G6x swaps are cheap these days. Sure, you can do it cheap, if you know the right people who have the required parts just sitting around and will give you good deals on them. Maybe they were cheap 15 years ago, when stuff was getting junked regularly like you said. No longer the case.

I like that truck build you linked. Nice combination of factory parts. I like the modded Evo 8 intake. Wonder if anyone has tried to fit one of those in a Starquest? Smart way to route the cooling system, using the outlet at the back of the head to feed the heater core. Did some reading on DSMLink (now ECMLink) and it looks like a hell of a product. It can even repurpose the MAF input as a flexfuel sensor input with interpolation between high and low fuel and timing tables, and run the engine on speed density with a MAP sensor. Pretty impressive capability for a lot less than a standalone ECM.
Buy the ticket, take the ride.

#5 jinx

jinx

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • Interests:I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Posted 08 June 2021 - 10:15 PM

Evo8 intake in starquest
Photos & good info here also:  http://www.starquest...pic=148920&st=0
Posted Image
All my DSM parts 'found me'. I wasn't looking for anything..... right down to a $500 fwd turbo Laser donor(virgin 2.0, drove oem)
Perhaps the most inefficient way to source parts. 4G cult still buzzing, I'd think social media would changed the game totally
Anybody serious, could map out a 4G plan, with a pretty realistic cost, before you leap. So much info... so many options

Went with a coworker to purchase a very low mile 91 awd Talon years ago. Only two carguys in the engineering firm
Said his intention was to teach those V8 bullys a lesson(he did). He was always online, then tinkering. Boring car I thought.
Almost a year later he said let's ride (to an inspection). From he let out the clutch, it stuck you hard in the seat
Any rpm... and that's without really goosing it. For a 2.0 to move, what? 3300+ pounds like that. I was sold = starquest powerplant
Oe ecu, logger, 2g MAF, SAFC, fmic/pipes, ported hotside, mitsu hybrid/clip 05/garret compressor wheel, 3" xhaust, HKS cams,
water/meth inj, bone stock bottom end with balance shafts. Helluva strong runner, on a budget

yeah, ECMlink is good stuff. Popular. Proven

Side note: Had I known from the getgo, that a lowly basic 2 valve 3.0L mitsu V6 could 500+hp/500+tq unopened....
I wouldn't be interested in any mitsu 4cyl. Cheap, compact, smooth & simple

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users