7 replies to this topic

#1 BlueCuda

BlueCuda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 31 May 2021 - 07:09 AM

The car I just bought came with one of these, it isn't hooked up but I haven't dug around a ton to see if the other end of the wiring is there, it very well could just be the head unit part laying in the floor.  

If one of these was wired in what do I need to do to get it out?  Do I want it out lol?  The car has a MAFT but I have not been able to start the car yet, putting a head gasket on it currently.

My goal for this car at this time is to get it running, its at a friends place and I need to get it running so I can get it to mine.  My driveway is steep and requires a running car.  I am not worried about performance at this time I just need it drive able.  I am not worried about the mechanical part I have that all covered but this aftermarket air meter stuff has me wondering how my first start will go.  I am not even against finding a stock air meter and filter can to get it going.  I think starting stock and working my way to modified is a solid plan, but if the MAFT and Apexi deal isn't horrible I don't mind giving that a go.  The car has an AEM wideband on it also.  

Ultimatly I plan to either use Scott's Megasquirt setup or build my own.  I have an MS3X and Microsquirt Combo on my 68 Barracuda and really like how that stuff all works.
87 Conquest M5 project

#2 techboy

techboy

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,887 posts
  • Interests:80's & 90's turbo charged cars.
  • Model:Starion

Posted 31 May 2021 - 09:02 AM

I have a SAFC installed on my Eclipse. The SAFC usually has a wiring harness on it that installs to the ECU. I would take off the passenger side foot well plastic and take a look at your ECU. See if there wires spliced in there. Without seeing it, my guess is someone was running the SAFC in conjuctuon with the MAFT. It actually can be a pretty a decent setup if it was installed and running right.
1988 Starion ESi-R ... crushed by a tree 10/31/11 - back from the dead 8/2016
1988 Conquest TSi ... current driver - sold to Bigjoe 6/2016
1987 Conquest Flatty ... F/S thread - sold 8/2014
1987 Conquest TSi ... parts car - sold to Coldscrip 12/2011
1999 Eclipse 4G63 ... heavily modified.
Feeback Thread | Motor rebuild thread | Restoration thread

Posted Image

#3 Turbo Cary

Turbo Cary

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 31 May 2021 - 12:46 PM

You'll need to get a variable resistor to get the RPM to read right on the SAFC. Just wire that inline with the RPM signal wire to the unit and turn the dial/knob until it matches the cluster.

#4 860QuestTuner

860QuestTuner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:B and J motorsports
    89 Conquest Tsi
    86 Conquest Tsi Rotted and cut up RIP
    89 240 sx coupe
    85 300zx TURBO Sold
    06 Evo MR
    06 RSX TypeS Traded for truck
    2012 Silverado Z71 crew
    autoX/fishing/shooting/paintball/audio/electrical/beer

Posted 01 June 2021 - 04:20 PM

The SAFC splices in between maf signal at ecu, so you will need to check harness or it will not have a karman signal when you try to start the car. I have had luck setting rpm to 2 cylinder to get it to match tach.
89 conquest Tsi (B and J motorsports)
20 0ver Wiseco 8-1,prepped rods/floaters/arp bolts,lighted/polished crank,IJH crank scraper ,18G/ported housing,ported manifold ,adjustable cam gear,ARP studs, M28 head,Shnieder 274 cam,ss valves,ported int+exh+TB,*DM HP hardpipes,*DM ahp,*DM intercooler,TXS bov ,*DM aluminum Radiator,Moroso oil catch, BS elem.,no AC,TEP dp,HKS exh,CompClutch S2Clutch/Light flywheel,SS clutch line, Walbro255,aeromotive FPR,GM maf,Injen filter,Boostmini TPS,SAFC,MSD,custom poly mounts ENG/Trans,Braided fuel/turbo lines,Hallman pro boost cont.,AEM wideband,,Cusco strut bar/camber plates,KYB struts,ST Springs,custom swaybar links,MK1 adjustable Strut Rods, MK1 rear Camber Plates,TEP rear strut bar, SS brake lines,slotted/crossed rotors,metal master pads,ABS Removed,wilwood prop valve
06 Evolution MR
intake, full int pipes,intercooler,ignition,full exhaust,clutch,flywheel,tune

#5 860QuestTuner

860QuestTuner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts
    89 Conquest Tsi
    89 240 sx coupe
    85 300zx TURBO Sold
    06 Evo MR
    2012 Silverado Z71 crew

Posted 01 June 2021 - 04:20 PM

The SAFC splices in between maf signal at ecu, so you will need to check harness or it will not have a karman signal when you try to start the car. I have had luck setting rpm to 2 cylinder to get it to match tach.
20 0ver Wiseco 8-1,prepped rods/floaters/arp bolts,lighted/polished crank,IJH crank scraper ,18G/ported housing,ported manifold ,adjustable cam gear,ARP studs, M28 head,Shnieder 274 cam,ss valves,ported int+exh+TB,*DM HP hardpipes,*DM ahp,*DM intercooler,TXS bov ,*DM aluminum Radiator,Moroso oil catch, BS elem.,no AC,TEP dp,HKS exh,CompClutch S2Clutch/Light flywheel,SS clutch line, Walbro255,aeromotive FPR,GM maf,Injen filter,Boostmini TPS,SAFC,MSD,custom poly mounts ENG/Trans,Braided fuel/turbo lines,Hallman pro boost cont.,AEM wideband,,Cusco strut bar/camber plates,KYB struts,ST Springs,custom swaybar links,MK1 adjustable Strut Rods, MK1 rear Camber Plates,TEP rear strut bar, SS brake lines,slotted/crossed rotors,metal master pads,ABS Removed,wilwood prop valve
06 Evolution MR

#6 BlueCuda

BlueCuda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 June 2021 - 08:10 PM

I found the other end of the wiring today, it powered up and came on just fine once plugged in.  One more piece of the puzzle.  

The Apexi appears to have another connection to it that isn't hooked up.  There is an additional wire that is hooked to the negative side of the coil that I haven't traced all the way down yet.  Would that plug into Apexi for its RPM signal?  Just trying to piece this thing together.
87 Conquest M5 project

#7 860QuestTuner

860QuestTuner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts
    89 Conquest Tsi
    89 240 sx coupe
    85 300zx TURBO Sold
    06 Evo MR
    2012 Silverado Z71 crew

Posted 04 June 2021 - 03:54 PM

S-AFC
Green - #1 White (Yellow Plug)
Brown - # 53 Black (Blue Plug)
Black - # 53 Black (Blue Plug)
Pink - # 2 White/Black (Yellow Plug) (to ecu)
Orange - #2 White/Black (Yellow Plug) (to mass air sensor)
Grey - #15 Green/White (Yellow Plug)
Red - # 51 Red (Blue Plug)
Blue - # 11 White (Yellow Plug) (O2 sensor mod)
White - N/A
Yellow - N/A

The blue wire mod is just to see O2 voltage in sensor check menu, but I wouldn't use it. I believe it causes interference with O2 signal. A wideband is better for air fuel reading.
06 Evolution MR

#8 860QuestTuner

860QuestTuner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts
    89 Conquest Tsi
    89 240 sx coupe
    85 300zx TURBO Sold
    06 Evo MR
    2012 Silverado Z71 crew

Posted 04 June 2021 - 03:57 PM

The brown and black are grounds and should connect to same ecu ground about a inch or so apart. I think it connects that way to see variance and stabilize ground signal. At least that how it is in apexi manual. I believe the manual can be found online.
06 Evolution MR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users