Skullzaflare

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,777 posts
  • Interests:Computers, hotrods, ratrods
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 20 June 2021 - 03:03 PM

Hey guys, haven't posted here in a long time.

I ran into a alternator failed situation a few days ago to find that its impossible to get an alternator for my 89 locally. Yes I could buy one used and wait, or RockAuto and wait, however i am not a patent person.
I got a few leads from a friend on DSM alternators and Subaru alternators.
All alternators mentioned here come with a serpentine pulley

1g turbo DSM the upper bracket is angled on wrong side and would make it tough to get a belt tight. Unit is a 75a with same 87-89 connector (did not go any further on this unit)

2000-2008 subarus use a matching bracket length, but the lower bolt will need replaced with a longer bolt and you would need a spacer between block and rear alt hole. Upon removing the serp pulley I found that it has the pulley spacer made to it. Measurements look like putting our pulley and spacer on it would line up correctly BUT the shaft is 5/8 and is much bigger than ours so the spacer and pulley would need drilled.
Additionally, these units come in a 90a and 110a variance, these have a 3 pin connector with 1 dummy pin. You would need the pigtail then wire the stock S and L to the marked pins
1999 and older have the 87-89 2 pin connector but are 70a. Bracket/pulley/shaft are same on newer unit

So, abandoning the DSM alt, setting the 00+ subaru alt to the side, I continued the rabbit hole at CarQuest by literally opening EVERY alternator box.
I found a few that were close but would need much more work and ended up with a solution.

2001-2006 Hyundai Elantra has a 90a alternator, the plug is 87-89 connector, the stud is 8mm instead of 6mm (so you will need to drill the eyelet or put a bigger one on) the mounting pattern is the same though the alt is slightly offset. The biggest work here is 5/8 stud again.

I used the Elantra alt of course.
I removed the stock serp pulley, and initially removed the stock spacer, however I reused the stock spacer after looking at everything and added 2 Dorman 095-002 copper washers (could not find anything in steel for the thickness i needed on a shim)
I drilled the stock pulley to 5/8s very carefully, installed the 2 copper shims ontop the elantra spacer, slipped the pulley on and went.

Now, since the alt is slightly offset, i was against the block with the stock 15380/17380 belt not fitting. 17395 is the perfect with with pulling the alt only about 1" into the adjustment.

The test sheet with this alt claims ~54amps at idle and 90a at max rev.
I did not have a way of testing this, however after starting the car and watching the factory volt gauge, i turned on headlights, heater fan max, and rolling both windows down while one seatbelt motor was working. All this running and the volt gauge did not move from where it was before hitting it. (of course turn signals still bounced it)
Testing with voltmeter, i had 12.8 immediately after start, few seconds later i was sitting at 13.3-13.5 at idle and 14-14.5 at 3k rpm.

I purchased the unit as a reman at carquest for $165, BUT this gives me a local warranty if something happens, and I do plan to get a cheapo of the same unit online to have a spare. I doubt this alt is going to disappear anytime soon, I have not checked to see if it fits any other vehicles
At Advance/CarQuest the unit is 11011a

Sorry that I did not take any pictures during this endeavor, though I do feel changing the pulley doesn't really need any lol

All in all, this servers as an emergency need an alternator, nearly bolt on 90a alternator upgrade, as well as an option for keeping our cars on the road without needing a custom bracket (gm alt)
Spark plug elimination kit

#2 tux

tux

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,804 posts
  • Model:Starion

Posted 20 June 2021 - 04:19 PM

I did the same.  I ordered a mookeeh alternator pulley and had my machinist make a spacer and enlarged the hole on the pulley

#3 Evoz17

Evoz17

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Interests:Mitsubishi's, soccer, life
  • Model:Starion

Posted 23 June 2021 - 09:59 AM

I used a 1g dsm alternator. No mods to the starquest pulley and spacer needed. They went on fine. But your right about the belt, that was a pita to get on. I had to turn the engine by hand while trying to slip it on. You will need a longer lower bolt and spacer. I got the 100amp version from the ebay link provided in a different thread here that was for the mirage alternator but i opted for the 100amp eclipse version from the same seller. Wondering if it would have been the same situation with the belt using the mirage alternator or not. Overall I now idle at 14.4 volts but drops to 13.5 with lights, Hvac on.

#4 Skullzaflare

Skullzaflare

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,777 posts
  • Interests:Computers, hotrods, ratrods
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 24 June 2021 - 08:22 PM

View PostEvoz17, on 23 June 2021 - 09:59 AM, said:

I used a 1g dsm alternator. No mods to the starquest pulley and spacer needed. They went on fine. But your right about the belt, that was a pita to get on. I had to turn the engine by hand while trying to slip it on. You will need a longer lower bolt and spacer. I got the 100amp version from the ebay link provided in a different thread here that was for the mirage alternator but i opted for the 100amp eclipse version from the same seller. Wondering if it would have been the same situation with the belt using the mirage alternator or not. Overall I now idle at 14.4 volts but drops to 13.5 with lights, Hvac on.
i had the 1g in my hand, but the body was pivoted to the opposite side of this one and i didnt like it (stock dsm 75a though)
Spark plug elimination kit

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: alternator, charging, 90a, upgrade

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users