#81 Turbo Cary

Turbo Cary

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,944 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 08 July 2021 - 07:42 PM

Throw some cam bearings in the Hemi while you're in there. Once you replace the cam it will probably be good for a while. We have the same issue on GMs and I honestly think it comes down to the oil change intervals they go through now.

Once the Active Fuel Lifters lock and fail to unlatch it really wears a cam down. They could even be sticking and you not know it because there is still a short transition between V4 back into V8 operation. The oil gets too broken down and the materials within the oil (bearing metal etc) starts to build inside the lifters causing the problem.

I really dislike the Dodge V8's simply because they cram them into small engine bays. GM isn't much better but I rather pull heads off a Yukon than a Durango any day.

They also make AFM delete kits for Dodge and GM V8s. You could buy the kit which comes with a new cam and lifters plus all the gaskets and a OBD programmer for probably the same cost as OE parts if not cheaper. I have been trying to convince my boss to let me use HPTuners and install those kits to Customer Pay vehicles but because I work at the dealer he won't let me.

Edited by Turbo Cary, 08 July 2021 - 07:45 PM.

#82 kev

kev

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,386 posts
  • Model:Other

Posted 09 July 2021 - 10:39 AM

I'm sold that it is a design flaw on the Hemi's after tearing it down and also researching the internet.  The lobe that wore was not one of the VVT lifters, it was #5 intake which is one that is running all of the time.   The needle roller bearing seized on the roller and the roller ground the cam lobe down severely.    I do know about the MDS kits but I'm not going to go there.   I'm going to fix this thing and get it back running well and then take advantage of the fact that dealers are paying top dollar for used vehicles now.    

It has been properly maintained.   I changed the oil every 3000 miles since new, religiously,  despite the 6000 mile OEM recommended intervals.  I have everything documented down to date, mileage, what was performed, and part numbers of everything.    I'm convinced that it is not a maintenance issue.   The metrics online are showing this will all types of oil types/brands, well maintained and non-maintained engines, and initiating as early as 60k miles running up to the mid 100k.   2011 is the most affected year (which is the year of mine) but it ranges from 2009 to current.   So many theories on the reasoning but they all point to a design issue.   It's the Achilles Heal of this engine and, unfortunately, it is big one.      

The good thing is that there is enough room to work in the engine compartment on the full size trucks.   It took me about 6.5 hours to tear it down.  No real problems.  Hardest bolts to remove were the exhaust bolts to the exhaust manifolds, which happened to be the only items requiring access to under the vehicle.   With the radiator out, I have been literally standing in the engine compartment while taking a part the engine.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#83 BlueCuda

BlueCuda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 July 2021 - 03:45 PM

I know they changed the size and number of the needle bearings in the rollers in 2016 or so I am not sure on when.  

I agree on the oil change intervals being to long.  My wife has an 18 Durango R/T and I change it when the oil life reads %50.  I just don't trust it to go the whole way because she doesn't drive far each day.  Plus the dealer we bought it from will change the oil and use a Mopar filter for $20.  I have close friends with Hemi vehicles and they all have 150K or more on them and have not had lifter problems.  

You should have swapped a 6.4L camshaft in, you can do that on stock springs and tune lol.

Love that you got the conquest back on the road.  I have an 87 I hope to have running before too long.
87 Conquest M5 project

#84 Turbo Cary

Turbo Cary

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 09 July 2021 - 05:36 PM

If you're going to get a new truck I advise to stay away from the new 2020+ GMC/Chevys. I have been replacing lifters and springs on new trucks like crazy. Most with 15k or less mileage on them.

#85 kev

kev

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,386 posts

Posted 12 July 2021 - 03:23 PM

Thanks guys!  

Yes, I think I'm going to go with a Tacoma.  I really have no reason to have a full size truck.   The Tacoma will pull my little utility trailer fine.  It's not as comfortable but one of the only trucks still available as a manual.  Older technology but reliable.    Only other truck I was looking at was the Jeep Gladiator (also available as a manual) but I'm really ticked at the Chrysler corporation as a whole right about now haha.  

The replacement camshaft and new lifters are back in the truck.  Everything else is prepped for assembly but my gasket set is stuck in shipping.  Hoping to have it together next weekend.    

The black cq is doing its job but it has a wicked reverberation when you are up in the rpms.  Not sure what that is from.  I may pull down the full exhaust and swap it with another stock system that I have stored away.   I need to also check my transmission and rear mounts better.      I'll look into these things once the truck is fixed.

#86 jinx

jinx

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,045 posts
  • Interests:I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Posted 13 July 2021 - 07:57 PM

you rescued a starquest, and right away that starquest rescues you. I think it likes you. Good job as usual
Wouldn't look twice at an automatic starquest.... young and dumb. Only starquest I'd buy now is an automatic flatty

I used to use PPG epoxy primer over bare metal before filler. Noticed no difference. Not a fan of sanding it either
After 2K primer, if I'm leaving something for a while.... I mix leftover clearcoat/hardner in some basecoat as a cover
Good protection (vs primer), sands fine when resuming work. Yet to try SPI products. Forums hype em up.

Surprised the blue car door skin warped filling handles. Intermittent spot welds ? I surround the area with a wet towel

I too, would lose confidence in any late model motor that did that lifter/lobe crap. Inexcusable. Garbage

#87 kev

kev

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,386 posts

Posted 19 July 2021 - 06:59 AM

The truck is running again and it purrs like a kitten!    Cleaned it all up, inside and out and it looks and runs like a brand new vehicle.  Now to trade it in, haha!  

I think I do have a torn rear mount on the CQ.  On Saturday, I went to pull out and it clunked a few times in the rear and didn't want to go for a few seconds.   Felt like the rear was lifting off at least one mount.   It hasn't done it since but I've been babying the car and pulling out real slow.   It does make sense along with the vibration I get at 3k rpms and higher.    The TT felt ok when I checked it awhile back but I never did take a prybar to the rear mounts.  Also, my right rear caliper is sticking just a bit.   Not enough to overheat the brakes or even slow the car down but enough that the wheel is coated with brake dust after a few days.    This caliper was stuck when I got the car.  I took it off, pulled the piston, cleaned/lubricated, and reinstalled but it's time to do an actual rebuild.  The good thing is that I know the piston is good.  Just need to buy a seal kit and take it fully a part along with the e-brake mechanism.  

Still doesn't pull as hard as it should at full boost.   Higher octane gas helped but not cured it.   I redid most of the fuel system on the rebuild.   Injectors are working well.  I may have to get a fuel pressure gauge on there to diagnose it further.   Like I said, I have just been babying the car for the time being until I buy another daily driver and then I can hone in on these issues.

#88 psu_Crash

psu_Crash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,513 posts
  • Interests:Killin' cones at 400WTQ!... and curves with green eyes
  • Model:Starion

Posted 20 July 2021 - 11:37 AM

Progress! ... and disaster in the same story. I recently picked up a leftover 2020 silverado with the 5.3. This thread makes me nervous
'86 Starion, MPI with MS2extra, Turbo Lab GTX3071R, P&P head, OS SS Valves, Wiseco +.030, ARP head/rod, RPW Roller Cam, Crower Rods, AEM H2O/Meth Injection, Mighty Max CAS 4 Direct Fire Wasted Spark, BSE, Tial 38mm, JDL exhaust mani, HKS turbo timer and EVC3, AEM UEGO, 3" DP into 2 1/2" Dual Exhaust, 85# Delphi's, Magna modded by Chad, Accufab FPR, Walbro 255, D2 Coilovers, GNT Poly Bushings and mounts, Autopower 4 point cage, Funk-Lock, LED Tails and Dome ... etc^4
2016, 17, 19 SCCA Solo, Glen Region Season Champion in Street Modified
The Valencia Project
http://www.starquest...+golden +dreams
My Feedback Link
Posted Image

#89 Turbo Cary

Turbo Cary

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 20 July 2021 - 03:29 PM

View Postpsu_Crash, on 20 July 2021 - 11:37 AM, said:

Progress! ... and disaster in the same story. I recently picked up a leftover 2020 silverado with the 5.3. This thread makes me nervous

You should be. Let me know when your lifters and cam failure if it's under warranty lol.

#90 Turbo Cary

Turbo Cary

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 20 July 2021 - 03:29 PM

View Postpsu_Crash, on 20 July 2021 - 11:37 AM, said:

You should be. Let me know when your lifters and cam fail if it's under warranty lol.

Edited by Turbo Cary, 20 July 2021 - 03:29 PM.

#91 TexasQuest

TexasQuest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,252 posts
  • Interests:TSi's & VR4's

Posted 27 July 2021 - 10:42 PM

GM is actually going to stop using the active fuel crap in the 21-22 trucks because of supply issues. Those are the ones to get!
88 Fiji Blue -TSi
Zoom clutch, Fidanza flywheel, Stedebani shifter, KSport coilovers, ST swaybars, abs delete, a/c delete, cruise delete, JVE, BSEK, TEP steel brake lines, LSP braided cooler lines, CX Racing radiator,  MK1 silicone hoses, MK1 pullies, *DM hard pipes & intercooler,14G turbo, ported exh. manifold, MAF Translator, 3.5" GM maf, Turbo XS RFL bov, *DM 3" exhaust, Cusco front strut bar, TEP rear strut bar, Enkei 92's, HKS turbo timer, AEM wideband, AEM boost gauge, AEM oil pressure gauge, SPA fuel regulator, Hallman boost controller

View PostJohnnyWadd, on 04 March 2010 - 10:01 PM, said:

my shaft was big i dont know what your talking about.

<SOS> http://sosmanuals.minagera.org/
<SQ Garage> http://www.starquestgarage.com/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users