Starion weight distribution

Cobalt60

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

which is perfect btw because of the weight transfer under load is 50/50 under acceleration. to have a standstill 50/50 would in turn make a car understeer with like a 45/55 distribution...just generalistic numbers there btw

Well, after doing some quick math (3000x53%) , a Starion w/ a curb weight of 3000lbs will have 1590lbs on the front, and 1410 on the rear. So to hit 50/50, youd have either remove 180lbs from the front, or also move some weight to the rear.

So lets assume a battery relocate. Not too sure what a battery weighs, maybe Im off, but say 30lbs. So that alone would mean you know have a F/R of 1560/1440, for a weight distribution of 52/48.

OK, now lets assume an AC removal removes 50lbs from the front, that would make the front 1510, and the rear 1440, for a distribution of about 51/49. OK so gotta remove another 70lbs to hit 50/50. If anyone wants to share their favorite ways of removing 70lbs from the front end, now would be a super time.

ac would be a little more than 50 lbs if u include lines and condensor.

u can use a lightweight alternator. i have a 4 lb one in my porsche.

remove abs...whats that 15-20 lbs? but thats more to the center not the front.

i would just remove as much as u can...depending on what you plan on doing with the car...weight reduction is the single most best mod ever for a street/track car. If you really want to get into weight, i would suggest getting some scales and adj suspension to truly tune your car. if your goal is distribution and weight...do it right =)

some performance shops rent scales for cheap.

also every suspension book i have read talks about moving weight closer to the center and or lower. so a rear battery gains static weight distribution but is higher and farther out from the center of the car (depending on where in the rear you put it) so in effect the battery's weight has more leverage against the car.

i was thinking about a small battery in the abs modulator spot. closer to center but higher though so i dont know.

Edited by JohnnyWadd

lets see i have removed all emissions from my car and still have a 30 pound battery in the stock spot. no a/c either and my car weighs 3060 with me in it i just weighed it a couple weeks ago. im about 160 and i had about a 1/4 to half tank of gas

also every suspension book i have read talks about moving weight closer to the center and or lower. so a rear battery gains static weight distribution but is higher and farther out from the center of the car (depending on where in the rear you put it) so in effect the battery's weight has more leverage against the car.

i was thinking about a small battery in the abs modulator spot. closer to center but higher though so i dont know.

you would essentially be replacing the weight of the modulator then and would have no ill effects =)

lets see i have removed all emissions from my car and still have a 30 pound battery in the stock spot. no a/c either and my car weighs 3060 with me in it i just weighed it a couple weeks ago. im about 160 and i had about a 1/4 to half tank of gas

premium weights 6.263/gallon...so you can factor that in for the remaining if u desire. and the starion holds 19.8 gallons /4 = 4.95 - 19.8 = 14.85 x 6.263 = roughly 93lbs added to ur weight

Curb weight assumes no driver and 1/2 tank gas. According to Wikipedia, it is an even 3000 for the widebody.

So if you subtract your weight, it comes to 2900 for your car, add the AC back in and thats say 50, for 2950, and your 1/4 tank of gas is probably around 50lbs, so your info basically matches up perfectly with my info.

premium weights 6.263/gallon...so you can factor that in for the remaining if u desire. and the starion holds 19.8 gallons /4 = 4.95 - 19.8 = 14.85 x 6.263 = roughly 93lbs added to ur weight

Oh yeah so my 50lbs was a bit off but for all intents and purposes I think all calculations done so far are reasonable.

BTW, if you look into the history of the Starion, I believe it was Mitsubishi themselves who modified a Starion to be under 2200lbs. I believe that was a 4WD Starion, which means technically we could make our 2WD even lighter. That car had the front 6 inches or so chopped off, had no pop up headlights, and had lots of fiberglass though, mods which arent to be taken lightly.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cd/Mitsubishi_Starion_Gr.A.JPG

The '86 - '87 weighs closer to 3150 and '88 - 89 are 3300. The CBRII car weighs 2750 the way it sits.

If you remove the BS, go to forged pistons, lightened rods, light fly, aluminum driveline, no posi rear.

You can also remove the under dash mat, auto seat belts, all uneeded wiring, rear flooring, spare tire, jack, etc... Most of that helps to move the weight more to the center and lower.

The '86 - '87 weighs closer to 3150 and '88 - 89 are 3300. The CBRII car weighs 2750 the way it sits.

If you remove the BS, go to forged pistons, lightened rods, light fly, aluminum driveline, no posi rear.

You can also remove the under dash mat, auto seat belts, all uneeded wiring, rear flooring, spare tire, jack, etc... Most of that helps to move the weight more to the center and lower.

According to Wikipedia, the narrow bodys are 2800, while the wide body are 3000 even. So why the difference in information here? Also want to state, according ti Wikipedia curb weight generally assumes a full tank of gas, not 1/2 like I had previously stated.

You say "if" you remove the BS. Is there a reason I cant get forged pistons, lightened rods fly driveline if I keep the BS? Also, you say "no posi rear". You mean make the car a one legger?

wikipedia is not always right, you never know where the guy/person that wrote that particular bit got his info.

not everything you read on the web is true

If any of us know that the entry for the Starion on Wikipedia is inaccurate, then why havent any of us changed it?

Also, a study was done and found Wikipedia to be about 95% accurate [citation needed]

Forget anything in print. Go down to your metal recycling yard and pull up on the scale with a StarQuest with everything stock still on it.

Actual weight is a bit different than curb weight listed on the registration. Curb weight for many cars is without fluids and tires. Not sure about ours.

I did quite a bit of weight reduction on the CBRII. No AC, no BS, No ABS, no under dash mat, no spare or jack, no stereo right now. However, it does have a 25Lb plate under the passenger rear seat where Jackie Chan sat on a swivel cushion.

If any of us know that the entry for the Starion on Wikipedia is inaccurate, then why havent any of us changed it?

Also, a study was done and found Wikipedia to be about 95% accurate [citation needed]

because allot of people arnt 100% positive about the weight (as we can tell by this thread lol) and anybody that does know porbably doesnt feel like going through the hassel of changing it...

also there is a stupid amount of information on wiki, world wide....im sure such a small subject as a starquest can fall into a portion of that 5%

...btw, i love wiki...get most of my college paper info from there haha

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

heres the data from Road and Track magazine that did a test on an 89 starion (brand new)...fully loaded

weight distribution : 53/47 (with driver)

curb weight: 3100

test weight: 3255

this is with SHP and a moon roof =]

now im not sure how much gas was in the car....but im gonna say that 3255 was with the driver and enough gas to do the large array of tests they did with the car.

there, now post that shiit on wiki :biggrinumbrella1: