Charging problem

Chase91

got an 89 tsi that stopped charging about a week ago. Pulled the alternator and had it tested, it was good battery was tested and is good no blown fuses any where and all the connections I've been able to get to are good... any ideas what could be behind the problem?? had the car for about 4 months and it always stayed right around 13 volts now nothing Edited by Chase91

http://www.billsautofab.com/images/charge.JPG

this is a real simple diagram of the 89 Straion system, but basically you have an alternater tha needs and 'excited field' which means a small voltage is introduced to the alternator brushes through the ignition switch in 'start' position, when the key is in start position, voltage passes through a resistor to drop voltage and then through a diode to pass in only one direction. this is the yellow/white wire

on the other side of the brushes is the white/green wire which should supply the alternator with constant battery voltage at all times

after the brushes are producing voltage it should be returned to the battery at 14.5 volts in the heavy gauge white wire

so put a voltage meter at the white/yellow wire and put the key in the start position ( engine cranking) you should see about 6 v, that tells you the signal is getting to the alternator from the key and the resistor is good, but it doesnt tell you the diode is good

put your volt meter in the white/green wire and make sure you have power with the key 'on'

after the engine is running test to see if you have 14.5v flowing to your battery

if all that works and you know your alternator is good,thenwe get into voltage drop testing

If you look at Bill's diagram, there is a fusible link coming off the positive post on the battery. It goes to the alternator. With the alternator checking out, I would suspect that black fusible link.

Jimmy

x2

that culprit is what caused yoshi's conquest to die en route this past weekend with a dead battery and a bad alternator it seemed.

http://www.billsautofab.com/images/charge1.JPG

lets say for example a lot of guys have had trouble with the fuse holder, electricity does lots of things, produce heat, light, motion, but what you dont recognize is that electricity can be doing all those things and you cant see it, so you gotta measure it.

well first you gotta pick your tools, in this case I want to use a DIGITAL DVOM. well the problem with the digital OHM METER is that it will lie to you >;o). its so sensitive it will give false readings and show a curcuit as good, when in fact there is resistance in the curcuit and its producing invisible heat.

So I am using a DIGITAL VOLT METER and by doing this I will use its sensitivity agaisnt itself >;o) by doing a voltage drop test

If I place the leads across a given electrical path ( including wires, connectors, and powered components )and power it up, the VOLTAGE METER will measure how much voltage is required to travel the path.

in this example the closer to '0.0'v the better, if in fact voltage is measured in this test, it means that given voltage is how much voltage required to travel the path BEFORE ANY WORK GETS DONE, so that amount of voltage must be subtracted from the available voltage to be used to drive the given component at the end of the electrical path

this test can be done on any curcuit to find trouble