Another Civic intake from autozone

What ALL do you have to purchase to make that intake pipe work?

Or does it come in a kit with everything, and just requires a bit of modding?

Not that I like the idea of putting ANYTHING from a Honda on to my car, but ... maybe.

Thanks FNF!

Autozone has the 3" chromed tube that comes with a 3" x 2 1/2" rubber reducer coupling.  The packaging looks like something from TOYS R US and it's for 92 and up civics and integras I believe.  It was about $40 if I remember correctly.  It's even got a welded fitting you can use for the charcoal canister hose.  

Then I ordered silicone couplers (3" straight and 3" x 2") from [link=http://www.roadraceengineering.com/hoseandclamps.htm]RRE[/link] and t-bolt clamps from [link=http://www.partssystems.com/shop/products.html?category_id=TBOLT]partssystems[/link], or to save money you can use regular hose clamps and rubber couplers.  Make sure you take into account the thickness of the silicone couplers when ordering t-bolt clamps!  

You need to cut some of the 3" tube, it's too long for the space available.  I also cut about 3/8" off the small end of the silicone reducer coupling so the tube sits closer to the turbo, allowing for more room.  It still doesn't fit perfect like I wanted (I'm picky) since the angle on the tube isn't enough, so I think I'm going to get a mandrel u-bend and weld something up.  It'll work for now and for anyone who wants a quick replacement for the accordian boot.  

Oh, and it helped spool-up with the existing 1G MAS by 200 RPM in 4th gear.  It also makes a louder air rushing sound when on boost and I had to adjust (loosen) the BOV since the turbo is more free to spin.  The stock accordian boot goes down to about 1.75" right before the turbo, I have a 17C wheel so the compressor inlet was machined out to 1.9".  Needless to say, the boot was restricting airflow.  I went off a tip from whiteTSInVA, see his post [link=http://www.starquestclub.com/index.pl?board=enginemods;action=display;num=1049946468]here[/link].

Nate

If you use a 1gen DSM accordian boot, cut it after the return for the bypass valve, you can use the Civic hard pipe and the DSM  boot to reroute your blow off back into the  turbo inlet. (Thats what I did anyway..)

Is there any way this would fit with the existing air can?  Or is the cone filter the only way to go?

My 1G MAS has been fitted into the can/lid setup.  Cut open of course, but I don't think that lid will fit a cone filter will it?

-Matt

U can use the K&N filter for the quest, and use the tray that is in the bottem of the STock aircan.

1: open can and remove the can from the car.

2: In the bottem of the can there is a 'tray' that has clips on it that holds the filter.

3: If you remove that tray, you can bungee it to the bottom of the K&N filter.  

4: Bungee the whole thing together and you have your 'open' element filter.  

• 4 weeks later...

What is that red plastic thing with the wire clips on it right before the cone filter??

Where did you get that thing, is it part of the Honda intake kit, Is your MAS inside it???

That red thing with the clips is the 1gen DSM eclipse Turbo MAS aircan lid.  He is using the 1gen DSM MAS.  I have one of those for sale with lid (you have to use your starion clips becaue the clips are missing from the can).   You can also use your own starion lid and mas, just get a K&N filter for the starion, take the gold tray out of your air can, bungee it to the filter/can lid (use bungee cords to hold the tray onto the bottome of the K&N)  thats what I did before I upgraded.  the 1gen DSM MAS will flow more air that the starion mas and the starion ecu works correctly with the MAS.

Really, it is? I guess it's just the picture and that it's painted red the clips looks shinny and wider than the stock clips. I thought maybe he did some fabrication..

I have a First Gen MAS  and the lid but it doesn't look like that...

I like the 3" intake... and that big cone filter.

I've been saving the Eclipse MAS for my 87 but now it looks like the GM MAS with the Ramcharger Translator is the heavier mod.

That hard pipe would probably work nice with a 3.0 or 3.5 GM MAS with reducers..

I just wish some one would figure out a way to make a cold air intake with that set up...

• 8 months later...
If you use a 1gen DSM accordian boot, cut it after the return for the bypass valve, you can use the Civic hard pipe and the DSM  boot to reroute your blow off back into the  turbo inlet. (Thats what I did anyway..)

Do you have a pic? I am using the 1g boot now and routing by bov to it and would like to keep the bov in there.

Im guessing if you used the 1genDSM boot you put a 2.5 inch piece of pipe so you could 'turn' the boot .  Just connect the civic pipe to that piece that you are using .  Basially from the turbo you go to the 1gen DSM boot, then the boot connects to the modified civic pipe, the to the Air can.  U just have to cut the civic boot to fit correctly.