Hmmm Which Laptop to buy?

Kr0nus

One would give me near infinite geek points, but the other I could play games on. Here is the UMPC I'm thinking about getting:

http://www.oqo.com/

It's got a OLED Touchscreen, GOBI internet connectivity and it looks so freaking cool!

Or I could get this Sager:

http://www.sagernotebook.com/product_customed.php?pid=51114

17", Blu-Ray, 9800GTS, 4GB of RAM and a steal of a price.

Which one would you guys get?

The Sager still ends up being less than $2k for what I want on it. I wanted an Alienware for a long time because I work for Dell. But, even with my employee discount they are overpriced. The build quality on the Sager is supposed to be really nice too.

I just bought a Macbook. They're pretty effin' fast. I just use it for my design work for school. Good luck on your purchase!!

Of course Macs are fast. They don't have any 3rd party programs. It's easy to be fast when all you can do is surf the internet and enjoy some media :biggrinumbrella1:

due to "heat" a lap top is not a good platform for gameing

Cooling technology has come a long way. I read the reviews on the Sager and everyone said that it stayed cool. The only complaints about the cooling was the decibel of the cooling fans. I'm not too worried about that.

don't get the oqo if you want a handheld wait a few months until the pandora comes out (open source "ultimate" handheld) will supposedly be the ebst handheld made to date...

Gamin laptop for what? I'd get the new macbook with 8hour battery life on a 17" =p

macs have no 3rd party apps? wow, I'd try www.google.com macs > windows. if you want 3rd party apps why not get a linux machine? Linux has the best apps out there, and if not all the best apps get ported to linux anyways. People hate linux for gaming but any good game gets released on linux or can be run through emulation easily. Or just dual booted...

With gaming a laptop sucks anyways, desktops are always built better faster stronger. You can get a decent gaming laptop but no gaming laptop compares to a gaming computer, and you can build something to run crisis with good framerate for under $600 especially since the 8800 pro gt is only 150 now, and the raedon 4500hd is only 100$ with same benchmarks... 4 gigs of ram?60 bucks for some crucial ram with great freq/timing/speed.

my laptop is a $600 and it would get annihilated trying to run crisis or even gears 2

If you want something solely to impress people(like it sounds =p) get a macbook pro or a nicely built linux machine from asus or something itll be way more "bad" to people.

My friends new macbook is super nice, he put windows on it and it scores 5.5's across the board on the vista number system in my computer, where as a good windows built laptop barely gets into the 5's you know?

Also the OLED's are just organic light emitting diodes, I did a repor ton them in class last semester, they're less efficient than regular LEDs and slightly less bright compared to good LED's

Edited by iamlew

don't get the oqo if you want a handheld wait a few months until the pandora comes out (open source "ultimate" handheld) will supposedly be the ebst handheld made to date...

Gamin laptop for what? I'd get the new macbook with 8hour battery life on a 17" =p

macs have no 3rd party apps? wow, I'd try www.google.com macs > windows. if you want 3rd party apps why not get a linux machine? Linux has the best apps out there, and if not all the best apps get ported to linux anyways. People hate linux for gaming but any good game gets released on linux or can be run through emulation easily. Or just dual booted...

With gaming a laptop sucks anyways, desktops are always built better faster stronger. You can get a decent gaming laptop but no gaming laptop compares to a gaming computer, and you can build something to run crisis with good framerate for under $600 especially since the 8800 pro gt is only 150 now, and the raedon 4500hd is only 100$ with same benchmarks... 4 gigs of ram?60 bucks for some crucial ram with great freq/timing/speed.

my laptop is a $600 and it would get annihilated trying to run crisis or even gears 2

If you want something solely to impress people(like it sounds =p) get a macbook pro or a nicely built linux machine from asus or something itll be way more "bad" to people.

My friends new macbook is super nice, he put windows on it and it scores 5.5's across the board on the vista number system in my computer, where as a good windows built laptop barely gets into the 5's you know?

Also the OLED's are just organic light emitting diodes, I did a repor ton them in class last semester, they're less efficient than regular LEDs and slightly less bright compared to good LED's

I would be buying a gaming laptop for gaming. I'm not going to buy a full sized desktop and ship it to Iraq and suck up all of the dirty power in my trailer. My wattage jumps by as much as 20% and I haven't re-wired my line conditioner yet. I hate Apples. They don't have anything that I need. They may be fine for you, but not for me. I can't play hardly any games on it unless I run boot camp or something in which case why the hell did I buy a Mac in the first place? I admit they do look cool and they are good for certain people, I'm just not one of them. I'm not some Windows lover either. PC's and Windows just have everything I need. I'll admit a lot of games are coming to Macs, but Macs still haven't added real enthusiast cards to their products yet. I used to build PC's as well.

Have you seen an OLED screen next to an LED screen before? They have come a long way. They have deeper blacks because you can turn the pixel off and they can be much brighter than LED's. They still aren't viable in most cases (mostly due to cost), I just liked it because it was bright, vivid and bleeding edge new.

I ended up buying the Sager. Their customer service already has an "A" in my book. I emailed them to ask if they were in stock and they emailed me back the same day. Then we emailed back and forth so we could find a solution to getting the laptop shipped directly to me in Iraq instead of to my house in America.