for all you EDIS freaks that need a Tach

That is the wire for the tach and it looks like i had broken my diodes when i soldered them, must have got them too hot. I had extra so i just crimped instead this time and the tach works now, wahoo! Just when i thought i was done working on my car the driver side window falls all the way down when i start to roll it down, ugh!

i went shopping for diodes today at the only store around that has electronic components and wouldnt you know they were out of what i needed. i got a half --------------- radio shack around but its not likely they got the 2 regular diodes. i picked up the zener diode but still need the other 2. anyone got a couple they feel like sending and ill drop you a couple dollars?

Just FYI I am using the stock tach with EDIS without the diode setup. I did have it setup as shown above but the tach wasn't working at low RPM. I have the white wire spliced directly into the PIP output of the EDIS module. Works like a charm.

It should probably have some kind of isolation in the line to the tach. At RPM over 4.5k I get some random false triggering that may be attributed this this.

just out of curiosity, has anyone tried using the pin #2 on the edis module ? it says on the main page of the megamanual for edis, that some people can connect there to make a stock tach work. i havent had the opportunity to try it yet but its not far away on my list.

also, those are digi key part #'s. or are those part #s pretty universal. or do you have the values for them 15-18volt zener is simple enough. what about the other two diodes values?

nevermind about the valuesand part #s. a quick look at digi keys website told me what i was asking.

Yes I have tried pin #2 and pin #11 for the tack. nether worked on the stock tack. Ford cars with a stock tack use pin #11 on the edis module.

i went shopping for diodes today at the only store around that has electronic components and wouldnt you know they were out of what i needed. i got a half --------------- radio shack around but its not likely they got the 2 regular diodes. i picked up the zener diode but still need the other 2. anyone got a couple they feel like sending and ill drop you a couple dollars?

Do you still need these? If so I beleave I got some. Your needing the 1N4004 right?

• 3 months later...

Do you still need these? If so I beleave I got some. Your needing the 1N4004 right?

nah dave, i actually found them just a couple days ago. i wandered into an oddball radio shack store and said wth, ill give them a try and sure enough they had them. the ironic part was they even used digikey part numbers even tho the guy said he didnt think they ordered them from digikey. it was right there labeled in their bins with the 1n4004 part number. i wish i had known you had them. never even crossed my mind you may have them. thanks for the offer, i appreciate it.

• 3 weeks later...
they are available from radio shack. or at least i had one of the diodes from another place, but i got the 2 diodes from radio shack. part numbers are in the first couple post from IW. if you have trouble finding the zener diode, ive got an extra as i had to buy a 2 pack. however its cheaper to buy the diode than for me to mail it to you. i think they were like 1.04$ or something. hell an envelope and stamp cost more than this.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
Bringing this thread back up because it's relevant to the issue I was having and then solved. I did some wire tucking on the inside of the car for the megasquirt and when I reconnected the battery, my car started up, however, the stock tach which worked before was no longer working. My megasquirt was getting tach signal so I knew it had nothing to do with the coil or vr sensor. After a few hours of checking fuses and wire connections I remembered that this diode trio connection feeds the stock tach signal. Sure enough, I unwrap the wires and the 18v zener diode was literally broken into pieces. I replaced the parts and all is well again. Thanks again for this write up.

• 1 month later...

any questions please feel free to contact me.

i just did this process yesterday and it was nice to see the Tach working again.

i used heat shrink and electric tape and soldered everything.

also you could use liquid electrical tape? not sure if that is what it is called.