Stay Auto Or Go Manual

your speedo humm you have me confuse'd,, was the 88 rear a 3:90 ?

useing a 5 spd gear in an auto car with 3:90's will correct the speedo , but i'm not aware of any gear for the speedo drive that will correct the speedo with 5 spd and 3:90s ,, but the dealer may have one

your speedo humm you have me confuse'd,, was the 88 rear a 3:90 ?

useing a 5 spd gear in an auto car with 3:90's will correct the speedo , but i'm not aware of any gear for the speedo drive that will correct the speedo with 5 spd and 3:90s ,, but the dealer may have one

I have no idea what the ratio is. As far as I know it's all original/stock, but it was an auto car. Were there different gears bettween the auto and manual?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Well I wouldn't trade my auto w/shift kit for anything in the world ...(except $4500.00 look at cars forsale.. sorry but I need the $$$) No hesitation between shifts, good fuel mileage and even before the MPI conversion it ran 14.2 sec and 102 mph in the 1/4 and probably would have done better if I would have had a shift light. Super fun and I never have to worry about replacing a clutch. Been running it now with the MPI with a estimated 300 rwhp and its flawless.. Would recommend auto over stick everytime and if you are worried about it being slower of the line you can always get a custom stall converter and put the 3.90 gears in. Good luck with the build either way you should have alot of fun after your done....

I've owned over 50 Quest and I still have 29... My favorite one is my red automatic. I had the transmission performance built. It was sliding sideways and spinning 2nd gear from 5 to 7 feet the first two days I had it out but then the motor spun a bearing and it's been sitting ever since... that's about 3 years ago... It's still my favorite Quest...It's my keeper!!! So I'd say the automatic is better for quarter racing and fun driving... Tony

Im a manual tranny guy myself. I love to shift the car, I don't mind losing some time in the quarter because of shifting, because in the end its all about enjoying the car you drive. While I would enjoy driving my car if it was an auto, I love it more with the manual.