Megasquirt Maps and Tables

Can someone explain the relationship between the AFR and VE tables for me, in relation to open loop operation? I've tuned a few air flow metered cars before, but have never played around with a speed density setup like the megasquirt.

It seems to me that you'd attempt to get the VE table as close as possible to the true VE of the engine, at all the load and rpm points, then tune the fuel delivery using the AFR table? However when I read about people tuning vehicles with megaquirts, they always talk about altering the VE table to adjust the fuel delivery. If the AFR table also adjusts the fuel delivery, it could get confusing adjusting two places that contribute to the fueling equations.

I've seen it a few times when reading about people tuning the fuel side of things, they post both VE and AFR tables. Their AFR table at a certain load/rpm point might say 12.5:1, but they really want 11.0:1, so they adjust their VE table at this point to achieve an 11.0:1 AFR, leaving the cell in the AFR table at 12.5:1.

My train of thought is that you'd begin with a base VE table for your engine, hopefully with similar modifications to yours if you can find one, and set a safe (rich) AFR table. You then drive, and log, and drive, and log, and drive, and log.... Adjusting your VE table till the real world AFR's match your AFR table. When you get these two as matched as you can, you know your VE table is a good representation of the true VE of your engine. Now you can adjust your fueling using the AFR table to improve economy and power.

This ofcourse becomes more complicated still when you then try to optimised your spark table to really get some power out of your engine, and this in turn alters the VE... so you need to repeat the process.... Drive and log and so on ;-).

Is it a case of the AFR table being used solely for closed loop operation, with a wideband sensor used for feedback?

I'll megasquirt one of my cars one day, looks to be a heap of fun.

Its an AFR "target" table. The ECU uses it to inch closer to the target if you happen to be a little off. Its priority is what you set it to.

VE table IS you overall fuel table. When tuning, the first thing I do is turn off any target assist.

Interesting, cheers for the info.

Still seems very odd to have a table name Volumetric Efficiency, but not have it actually represent the volumetric efficiency of the engine. However, what works, works, and there are plenty of people out there getting awesome results, so who am I to question? :-).

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone care to share a 12 x 12 map i can use with ms1 3.0 looking for a fuel map to start with to tune from thanks in advance oh my mods are magna with 35r turbo and 1000 cc inj's for now direct fire single coil.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a381/skullzaflare/Untitled_zpsfac614ba.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a381/skullzaflare/Untitled_zpsfac614ba.jpg

Is that an autotune/ve analyzer map? That thing is super random. What are your corrections set to?

Is that an autotune/ve analyzer map? That thing is super random. What are your corrections set to?

It's from mega analyze trying to compensate for accel settings, the even green going diagonal is from a 2 hour drive. I haven't smoothed anything yet

It's from mega analyze trying to compensate for accel settings, the even green going diagonal is from a 2 hour drive. I haven't smoothed anything yet

ahh, if I were you, Id set more strict filtering.

should i still try this as a base map?

its not for a driving base for you to start, you should never run someone elses exact fuel map. it will help you get running

it will also vary by what you have injector open and engine requirements set at

1000cc injectors

8 blade hx35 @ 21psi

i already manually smoothed it out earlier this morning, though i havent flashed it yet

I gave your map a quick try i did smooth it out and i have to say it worked like a charm i clocked on 50 miles this morning alone i am on my way the car is running awesome compared to before thank you for the map will keep you updated after dyno tune

I gave your map a quick try i did smooth it out and i have to say it worked like a charm i clocked on 50 miles this morning alone i am on my way the car is running awesome compared to before thank you for the map will keep you updated after dyno tune

np, as long as it helps, keep an eye on afr's and dont let it lean out, course you are mainly using it for the out of boost cruising for the dyno tune right?

VE tables will also fluctuate depending what your timing VE table is running

i go back and forth between the "safe" timing table, and psu_CRASH's hx35 timing table, fuel VE alters from the timing

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hey guys please post your <!--coloro:black--><span style="color:black"><!--/coloro-->Constants<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->, <!--coloro:black--><span style="color:black"><!--/coloro-->Ignition<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->, and <!--coloro:black--><span style="color:black"><!--/coloro-->VE Tables<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> to help those who are just starting in MPI and could use a good set of base maps.

<b>Please list:</b>

<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue"><!--/coloro-->Injector Size<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

<!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue"><!--/coloro-->Octane Rating<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

<!--coloro:red--><span style="color:red"><!--/coloro-->Turbo & PSI Running<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

<!--coloro:yellow--><span style="color:yellow"><!--/coloro-->Style of Ignition<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

Thanks guys I will have my Tables/Maps up as soon as I know there good.

Like Scott said. Once the engine is running at all, start data logging. Disable all enrichments like acceleration and warm up to get a clear view of how the tables are directly impacting the running conditions. and you can try to rev at idle and hold certain rpms to determine if you need to add or remove fuel. Obviously you need a good wideband o2 sensor for any kind of tuning with megasquirt. Once you get a fuel and ignition table that will let you rev the car without any major hesitation, you can tune the acceleration enrichment bins. After tuning those, you're ready for a test drive.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks guys I appreciate the help gonna take to dyno and find out what's my engine doing? Scott is it worth it for my set up to use the mk1 trigger wheel set up I have and LS1 coils after the car is tuned??? How do I connect my megasquirt2 directly to the trigger cause I really wanna do it but I'm stuck on the build with that??

Also my fuel maps were from you Scott I think you had a link just with a map for starting the car and getting it to drive like to a dyno and most of everything else is not being used so it's got that and drove my car for yrs like thy with no problems in till is stab it and the car goes over 5000 I start to run lean